Chapter 29

He knew this would happen. Still, the same feeling of dread flowed through him. Faolan gave the three a stony glare.

"So you're going to kill me now, huh?" He asked.

"Unless you give up your power, of course," Bridget replied, smiling.

He remembered when that smile was the best thing he ever saw, as good as Celeste greeting him in the restaurant. All those times when he had seen her smile when he trained with JP, or caught and slaughtered a pig in the forest, or when they woke up in the morning to a bright sunrise...

Was it all real?

"Bridget..." Faolan was lost for words. He had been betrayed, toyed with, lied to, fought for, stolen. He suddenly recalled something that she had said in one of her first words to him. You're alive, and that's what matters.

She didn't care that he was safe. She cared that she had a chance at getting his power.

"What's your answer?" Sky snapped, impatiently.

"Well... no," he replied. "This dream of yours is pointless. I don't know how many people you've killed. But I don't want to be one of them. Do you?"

Bridget narrowed her eyes in... not hostility. Something else. "I liked you. But your words are useless. Anything else before you die?"

He blinked. That didn't go well. Maybe he could still stall them? "I wish it was different."

Bridget looked agitated. "So did I. I wish you weren't thick-headed and would voluntarily give me your power of a Descendant. I wish that I didn't really have to kill anyone, but, hey, can't have them go running back and send a patrol to take us down."

"Us?"

"Well, yeah. There's us three, then him," she boredly waved a hand in the masked boy's direction, "and quite a few more. We don't need much to take down one person, though. And you know what? Since I think that this will be a bit boring without it, I'll let you use your powers. How about that?"

There was a slight change in the atmosphere of the arena, like it had let out a sigh of relief, but nothing else.

"Er..."

"I think that's enough conversingfor now. Ready?" Bridget said.

"Anytime." America responded.

"Great! Let's get this over with," she exclaimed.

Instantly, the raised her arms and sent out a force field of blue energy rolling across the arena. It slammed into Faolan and sent him skidding, along with the boy, who looked dumbfounded.

"Outa the way, kid!" America shouted and ran at Faolan, a blur of cyan. She landed mid-flip and her sword crashed down on him, but he managed to shoot a ball of fire at her. She gave a bark of protest and backed off a few blocks, quickly patting out the flames that sprouted on her jeans. She glanced back up, eyes filled with malice, and leapt again, smashing her sword into Faolan's left arm.

He scrambled back, almost tripping over the brown-haired boy, who managed to squirm out of the way. He took out his own sword.

"How did you even get that?" America growled.

Faolan didn't bother replying and lunged at her. He swept his sword in a wide arc around her neck, but she ducked and sprang out of the way just as Sky came in behind him, slashing her sword across his back.

He grimaced and turned, letting the momentum of his twist add a little extra power to his hit. He caught her by the hair, and a chunk of her dark brown hair streaked with gold fell to the ground. Her violet eyes sparked dangerously and she leapt again. He blocked her sword and jumped away, only to have Flint nip at his ankle. An unexpected energy field from Bridget sent him reeling forward, directly into Sky. She shoved him off and kicked him to the ground.

As Faolan hit the ground, the air was knocked out of him and he laid on his back, sword skittering farther and farther away.

Bridget towered over him, a smile on her face. Not warm. Anything but. America and Sky stood off to the side, watching eagerly, and the boy crouched nearby, a mixture of emotions showing on his revealed face. Apprehension? Reluctance?

Bridget grinned and shifted her sword. "Well, Faolan. I guess it's time. See you in the afterlife."

Just as she raised her diamond blade, the ceiling exploded.