Chapter 08

Faolan tenderly touched his temple and said, "Wait... a safe place?"

Sapphire nodded. "Yes, indeed."

Bridget crossed her arms and crossly blew the stripe of red hair out of her face. "Faolan, this isn't a good idea. We should continue on and set up a house somewhere."

He glanced at the two villagers and narrowed his eyes. "You two know each other, don't you?"

The two exchanged a guarded glance and Sapphire said, "Yes, we do. But I'm not going to let our past get in the way of our future. The village is safer for you and me. You can settle down, train, and probably live a fuller life than running."

"Really?"

"Mhmm. We have plenty of defenses to keep out soldiers, if they even find us. And, we have trainers to harness your powers." Sapphire explained.

Despite the happy look on Faolan's face, Bridget growled, "It's not safe."

"Safe? Safe?" Faolan exclaimed, turning on Bridget. "This is practically the best news I've heard since we left my village! This is our best bet for survival."

Bridget sighed deeply and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "You really want to do this?" She asked, like she was talking to a little kid.

"Yes!"

"Okay, fine." Bridget exclaimed. "I'll go see Kyle and tell him we're leaving. I'll catch up to you."

Without waiting for a response, she stormed back off into the forest, leaving Faolan, Sapphire, and her dog alone in the clearing.

There was an awkward pause between them, but it lasted only for a few moments.

"So... how is this village?" Faolan asked.

She thought for a second, then replied, "Well, it's nicer than yours. It's less uptight and there are lots of positions. My brother is the Mayor of the village, but I never earn special treatment. Nobody does.

"There are a few people I do want to take you to, though. JP, for example. He helps most people strengthen their ability as Descendants. Have you any clue to what yours is?" Sapphire queried.

He shook his head. "Nope." Most Descendants had a supernatural ability that came along with their bloodline. It was always one per generation. If Celeste didn't have one... did he?

"That's fine. Onix will make you a better weapon than that," she said and gestured to the stone sword he was holding. "She's a great blacksmith."

Something was triggered in Faolan's mind at the words. "Hey, um, before you attacked those soldiers, who shot those arrows? Was it you?"

Sapphire smiled. "Oh, no. I'm terrible at archery." She turned around to the trees. "Hey, Amia, c'mere!"

Another villager stepped out of the trees, carrying a bow. She had long, red hair in a braid down her back and green eyes. Her clothes were dirty; but strangest of all, she was slightly transparent. Faolan moved his head from side to side in confusion, but he could still almost see the oaks behind her.

"Hello," she said quietly. "You're Faolan?"

"Yeah. And you're Amia. Nice to meet you." He stepped forward and shook her hand, which gave almost made him jump because he could feel her hand like any other villager, as if she was fully there.

"Will he be coming to the village?" She asked Sapphire, curiously.

"Yep, as soon as Bridget gets back."

A look that Faolan couldn't identify--concern? Apprehension? Surprise?--crossed her face, and her transparency seemed to flicker, but she was back to normal in a moment.

"Oh. Alright. I'll wait with the mule." Amia said and walked away, casting Faolan a blank glance before disappearing into the brush.

"What was that about?" Faolan demanded.

"Nothing." Sapphire said back. Faolan could tell that she was guarding something about his friend.

As if triggered by the thought, Bridget burst into the clearing again and gave a thumbs-up. "He said it's cool to leave and I grabbed your stuff from the chest. Are we ready to go?"

Faolan nodded. "Yes. Let's go."