Chapter 38

A few days after Herobrine teleported the patrol home. Faolan found it hard to sleep at night, sometimes. The nightmares bothered him terribly. The memory of the kid, how he almost died, the terror at seeing Dark Star emerge, and worst of all, the killing. Oh, all the killing. It was most prominent. Sky. America.

Bridget.

Even now, he still felt a strange sense of guilt whenever he thought of those moments. Faolan even asked Onix for a new sword since he couldn't help but imagine Bridget's blood on his old one. It's deep in his chest, now, hopefully never to be dug up again.

Faolan cleared his mind with difficulty and pushed open the doors to the village's restaurant, bringing back another wave of terrible memories. He grumbled and rubbed his head as if it would push them away. On the other side of the restaurant, he noticed Sapphire and Gale in a fierce argument with each other.

He carefully made his way over. Sapphire looked agitated, and Gale looked like he was about to snap as he tried to calm her down.

"...ghost was there! I'm not even kidding! Gale, how could I lie about something like this?" Sapphire exclaimed, voice cracking at the end.

He sighed and bit his lip. "You just need to get over it, okay? We've tried hard to forget about it, both of us, and now a simple sight brings back the horror?"

"Yes!" She snapped. "It's not that simple! You don't forget something like that!"

"Well..." Gale faltered when he saw Faolan standing a few blocks away, watching with a slightly bewildered expression. "I'll be back. This isn't over." He walked away, leaving his sister sitting at the table, looking resentful that he walked away.

Faolan cautiously sat down. "You haven't seen okay since the battle. Sorry that I interrupted your... argument. What's troubling you? You can tell me," he added, seeing her untrust.

Sapphire sighed and looked away, visible blue eye filled with shame and sadness. "You don't want to know. It'll just bring you trouble."

Faolan leaned forward, concerned. "No, it won't. I just had to kill someone I thought I was friends with. Tell me. Please."

Sapphire looked down at the table, then met his gaze. Faolan almost flinched. Her gaze was surprisingly broken.

"Fine. A long time ago, we didn't live here. Gale and I's parents were killed by monsters, so we moved away and we shared chores for a long time. He would fight mobs and hunt, while I would mine and build and cook," she explained. "Eventually, I got sick of not getting any action. So I ran away.

"I came to a village in a desert. That's where I met Bridget. She was a priest, or something. I wasn't sure. She intercepted me before I entered the village and tried to convince me to leave. She said that things were not safe there and that I would only bring trouble and death. But she said it rudely, with almost no authority or respect, so I pushed her off and continued to the village.

"Then I met Jason. Jason greeted me. I can remember him as clearly as yesterday. His hair was sort of copper colored, but mostly brown, and his eyes were deep blue. His smile was bright. I moved in with him, and for a couple of weeks, were were pretty much inseparable. Then, there was the one night where we were participating in the Wolf War Aversion celebration. There were the normal fireworks shot up into the sky. We sat on his roof together and shared a traditional pumpkin pie. I remember I said to him, 'These colors are amazing, aren't they?' And he told me, 'Not as much as you,' and... well, we kissed."

Faolan could see her eyes tearing up a little bit as she recalled the painful memory. "Go on." He whispered.

Sapphire nodded and said, "Then Gale came. We were overjoyed to see each other, since we had fought and divided. He and Jason got along like brothers, but he and I were a little more than friends. Fate was almost on our side."