Summer

(Two Months Later)

"Come on, Tomika, please come to prom tomorrow night. I'll be there, everyone will be there!" I beg her.

"I'll have to be there. Summer, the School of Rock is performing," she says, just sitting there doing homework," Besides, prom is too early in the year anyway," she says.

She continues to work on her homework while I'm doing last-minute dress shopping because my original one was ruined by my cat, and my best friend is busy doing homework in the store instead of helping me.

"You know how Principal Mullins like to finish all the big events early so we have more time to work on school," I say picking up a pretty peach dress from the shelf running into the dressing room to try it on.

"Tomika, we are shopping. Stop doing homework!" I yell.

"You should be proud that I'm even doing this homework on this beautiful Friday afternoon," she says sarcastically," and you are the shopping, not me."

"Give me your attention, please," I say, coming out of the dressing room wearing the beautiful peach dress.

She looks up at me, and I see a smile form on her face.

"You look fantastic," she says.

"Now you know you could try on this," I say, taking out a gorgeous blue dress from a shelf.

"Nope," she says.

"Well then, what are you gonna wear when you show up before the show?" I ask.

"My pjs," she says, and I roll my eyes.

"I'm gonna buy it," I say, placing the dress next to Tomika on the seat, and I go back to the dressing room to get changed into option number two.