Chapter 17

Chapter 17

After dinner we went back to my house. My dad and Valerie were talking excitedly. After a minute they turned to us. They were lit up like Christmas trees.

"We have an idea." My dad started.

"Tomorrow we think you four should get together and get to know each other." Valerie finished. We shifted uncomfortably.

"That sounds great." Skylar beamed.

"Sure." I agreed. Kendall and Jerry shrugged.

"Great, you can meet tomorrow, after school."

The next morning, I found Kendall and Vincent in the kitchen.

"Vincent, did you find anything?" I asked. I grabbed a cup and poured some juice.

"Nothing really." He replied. "But don't worry about it. I'll find something."

"I'm not worried. I trust you." I smiled at him. He returned my smile.

"I'll catch you two later." He rose from his chair and sauntered out that the door. I moved closer to Kendall. "How's your morning?"

"It just got a lot better." He responded.

"Well good because we're going to have a long day." I reminded him.

"Did you like them?" He asked.

"I'm not sure yet."

"Hopefully tonight you'll bond." He said and took my hand. We went to school. After that, the day went by fast. Soon we were in Kendall's car driving to my house.

"Are you ready for this?" Kendall asked. I nodded. We walked into the house, hand in hand. Skylar and Jerry were seated at the table.

"Hey." I chimed as we went into the kitchen. Kendall smiled at them.

"Hello." Jerry called from his chair. Skylar regarded us calmly.

"How was school?" Jerry asked.

"Great." I replied.

"It was nice." Kendall agreed.

"How was your day?" I asked.

"Fine." Skylar responded dryly.

"Pretty good." Jerry smiled. We sat in the chairs across from them. They watched us closely.

"Are you hungry?" They nodded and I stood.

"Let me help you." Jerry offered and came up next to me.

"Thanks." We walked into the kitchen and I asked what Jerry liked to eat. I opened the cabinet to let him look. He moved towards the cabinet and grabbed a bag of chips. He got closer to the cabinet. Then I realized that he wasn't getting closer cabinet, he was getting closer to me. He was getting so close that I could see the pores on his face. Next he put his lips on mine. Before anything could happen, I pulled back.

"Jerry, I have a boyfriend." I stated.

"I know but-" He trailed off.

"But nothing." A voice came from behind us. We spun around to see who it was. Kendall walked to my side and took my hand. Jerry's face crumpled.

"I'm sorry." He squeaked. I turned to Kendall.

"You didn't have to be so rood."

He shook his head. "You're mine." I remembered that I had said the same thing to him when a waitress flirted with him at a cafe. A moment later, Skylar sauntered in.

"What's taking so long?"

I smiled and turned to her. "Nothing. Do you like chips?" She shrugged and I tossed them to her. She went back to the table. Kendall and Jerry glared at each other.

"Let's go eat chips." I went after Skylar. I sat down and grabbed a chip. Skylar cleared her throat and looked at me.

"Vivian, did you know Aaron suggested we live in Manhattan?"

"He did?" I asked.

She nodded. "After the wedding in December."

They're having the wedding in December? That's about a month away. She read my expression and grinned. "I guess your dad didn't keep you posted."

"I guess not." I played with a chip I was holding, no longer hungry.

"What's your dad like?" I asked. Her face changed. I could tell that I had hit a nerve.

"We don't have to pretend to like each other, you know. I honestly don't want to be your sister." Her voice was cold. I stared at her, not knowing what to say. She noticed my bewildered look and sniffed.

"Jerry, we're leaving." She called. Jerry came to us and raised his eyebrows.

"Why?" Kendall followed him out of the kitchen.

"I don't think this whole step-sister is going to work." She glared at me.

"Well, you know the way out." I snapped. Kendall stepped forward, trying to keep the peace.

"Skylar, let's not be hasty. You just met, give each other a chance." He looked pleading.

"Why should I?" She sucked in her breath.

"Your girlfriend isn't worth my time and I don't see why she is worth yours." A vein popped out Kendall's neck.

"You know what, she's right. You can find your way out." Kendall shot back. He took my hand. "And I wouldn't want to spend my time with anyone else." Skylar glared at us once more and stomped out of the house. Jerry trailed behind her. I turned to Kendall with a smile. He gave me a questioning look.

"Have I ever told you I loved you?" He smiled and pulled me close.

"You might have mentioned it once or twice."