14) Starting Over

"This is the last of them," I told Lily as she helped me drag all my bags downstairs to my car. I threw them into the back seat and closed the car door with a huff.

"You're going away for forever and that's all the stuff your bringing with you?" Lily questioned.

"Yeah, since it'll be like staying in a dorm, I didn't think I needed a whole lot more than some clothes, toiletries, my favorite pillow, and only a few of all my favorites. It's an open campus once classes are done for the day, so I figured I could just buy whatever new stuff I needed with all the money from my old stuff," I explained.

"Exactly how much of your stuff did you sell?"

"A lot and I got asking price for most everything to. Of course, there were some things I didn't have the heart to sell."

"Lily, if we're going to make it there by tomorrow night, then we need to get a move on," my dad reminded me.

"I guess this is goodbye," I said sadly.

"I guess so," Lily mimicked my sadness. I gave her a friendly bear hug and I could feel her tears dropping on my shoulder.

"Hey, we can still call and text," I told her, trying to sound positive as I pulled away. "It's not like I'm going completely off the grid," I joked. Lily laughed.

"Text me when you get all settled in."

"Will do," I smiled, stepping into the car and buckling my seatbelt. I rolled the window down and waved as my family drove off. It was a long drive to upstate New York from where I lived and my parents would've just flown me in, but I had too much luggage and they wanted me to keep my car. My dad was going to drive all night and then after the sun comes out the next morning, I would drive until after lunch, then my mom would drive the rest of the way. Makes for a long trip, but I had plenty of books to read, movies to watch, and music to listen to, but I ended up sleeping during most of the trip.

My dad woke me up so I could eat some dinner and then I went back to sleep. A few hours later, I was woken up again because this time, we were here. Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters was only 20 minutes away and honestly, I've never been this uncomfortable. I tried to wake myself up as best as I could before meeting new people. Soon enough, we made for the turn off and I gasped at the sight before me as I practically pushed my face against the glass window. The school building was HUGE! It looked like a 5 story mansion with every outdoor sports court you could think of surrounded by a beautiful forest, lush green grass, and a garden. There were already 3 people waiting in the circular driveway when we pulled up, 1 of which was in a wheel chair.

"Hello, you must be Anna Wesley," the bald man in the wheelchair said with a welcoming smile.

"Yes, that's me," I confirmed with a nervous smile.

"I'm Professor X, headmaster of the school," he introduced himself, holding his hand out for me to shake. I shook his hand and repositioned all of the bags I was trying to carry. "This is Jean Grey and Scott Summers, two of my greatest students who are now teachers," Professor X introduced the other 2 people. Jean was tall and had really pretty red hair and Scott seemed friendly enough, but also serious.

"Wait, did you say your name was Scott?" I asked.

"Yes," he answered unsurely.

"I went to school with your brother, Skylar. He was actually the one that recommended this place when I found out that I had powers," I told him. Scott chuckled.

"Skylar Rogers isn't his real name, but if he's made it this far, then that must mean he's doing good fitting in," Scott said. My face turned to shock.

"Oh," was all I could manage to say. "I was very close with your brother. I think if it hadn't been for my powers that we would've ended up together."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Scott said.

"It's ok, at least I get to start off fresh and new here," I gave an unpersuaded smile.

"Why don't we get you settled in?" Jean suggested, picking up some of my bags.

"I think that's an excellent idea. You must be tired after your travels," Professor X agreed.

"Bye!" I called to my parents as they drove away. Scott also helped carry my bags to my room.

"Your room will be right here and here's your key," Jean said, stopping in front of a door in a long hallway. "There's at least 2 teachers at the end of every dorm hall so please, if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask. Scott and I are on the next level, so we'll see you around."

"All of the classrooms are on the second floor and the kitchen and eating area are on the first. Professor X will be by to see you in the morning to give you a proper tour. Rest up and make some friends," Scott informed me.

"Thank you, both of you," I said and with that, I unlocked my door to my room and drug all my stuff inside, flipping a light switch on. There was a queen sized bed, a big dresser, a night table, desk, tv, mini fridge, microwave, a small closet, and my own bathroom. There were also 2 lamps, a ceiling fan, and an air conditioner/heating system. The bathroom wasn't anything to jump up and down about or anything; simply a toilet, sink, mirror, cupboards, medicine cabinet, and a bath/shower. I was so tired that I threw myself onto the bed and fell asleep right away.