16) The Tour

I hurriedly finished my strawberries and followed Kitty to the hall, noticing several stares from those still eating breakfast along the way. That's what I get for being the new girl; nothing ever changes. "So...what do you think of this place?" Kitty asked, trying to make small talk.

"I like it, people here are friendly like at my old school, but did you know that there's a jet that comes out of the basketball courts?" I asked exasperatedly. 

"Yeah, it's been there ever since I got here," she answered calmly as if it wasn't a big deal. 

"Why do they need a jet?"

"To go on actual training missions that aren't simulated, to track down other mutants to try to recruit them here, and we've had times where the jet is needed in order to fight off bad guys," Kitty explained.

"Oh, cool."

"It is, but only the older students get to take the jet and only the teachers get to pilot it. Well, technically but there's been a few exceptions," she corrected herself. "Here we are," she stopped in front of a door in a shorter hallway than the dorm hallways and opened the door. Professor X was sitting behind a desk going through some papers.

"Ah, Anna, please come in," he greeted with a friendly smile. "Thank you Kitty, I can take it from here," he excused her. Kitty nodded and left, leaving the door open. I took a eat across from the desk and waited. "What are your powers?"

"Ice and I think maybe heat, I don't know. My powers are kind of random and I can't control them very well," I admitted.

"Well that's why your here, to learn how to control and use your powers in the best way," he told me. "Shall we begin the tour?" I nodded excitedly and followed him out the door. "Where we are now is the main level where the kitchen, library, and classroom are. Some of the training rooms are also on this floor, but most of the individualized training rooms are below in the basement."

"Basement?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, that's where the simulation room is, our school garage, my private area that very few are welcome in, and that jet you are so interested in." I gasped when he mentioned the jet and knew my thoughts. "My apologizes, I'm a telepath," Professor X informed me. I followed him to an elevator and anxiously awaited to see where we would be going. We were headed down which meant that we were going to visit the basement.

"Whoa," I breathed when I saw the brightly lit hallways with suits on display and occasional shelves with what looked like workout clothes folded on them.

"It can be overwhelming at first, but I can assure you that you'll get used to it," Professor X reassured me. "Here is the jet," he said leading me through an automated door.

"It's beautiful," I said as we walked closer to it.

"It was designed to be fast, low profile, and can be disguised so it is unnoticed if we wish. It can seat up to twenty people if needed and is equipped with everything that is needed to make a mission go smoothly and has supplies if things don't go smoothly." We went back through the door we came from and went to another door. "In here is the simulation room where we train students to work as small groups to complete missions. As you can see, you can still feel pain while you are in there, but you won't actually be hurt. The teachers can change the settings from the control room and no one is to be in there alone under any circumstances." I watched in fascination as the group that was in there worked together. It looked like it was a lot of fun, but that I should also take it seriously.

"What are all of the suits for?" I asked.

"Those are for when you are in the simulation room. However, you have to earn your suit and become an official member of the X-Men. In case you are wondering, the X-Men is a group of our exemplary students who get to travel around in the jet and help recruit others. They're the elite, set a high standard, and are good examples to the other students of what they can potentially become," Professor X explained. "This is where you will be most of the time while learning to control your powers. The heat chamber, fire chamber if your powers develop further, and the multipurpose room. Iceman, Pyro, myself, and some of your teachers will work with you on an individual basis." Professor X lead me back the way we came. "On your left is the garage that can hold up to one hundred cars, although it's never been that full, and the small hallway on your right is my private area. The clothes on the shelves are welcome for anyone to use while they train and are to be turned in at the end of the week for washing."

We went back to the elevator to the main floor. "This hall is where you can find me in my study as well as many of the other teachers, but some teachers like to be a little more adventurous and aren't as easy to locate if you need to see them for anything. This hall is also where most of the classrooms are." We walked past some of the classrooms that had the doors left open or had windows so I could see what it was like in the classroom setting here. "As you can see, we have all of your core classes that you would have at a regular school including some electives and we also offer specialized classes."

"What are those?" I asked.

"Specialized classes are those that the teacher as an individual is qualified enough to teach that is unique to their own knowledge that you might not be able to take at a regular high school. Of course when a student is old enough, they are given the option of becoming a teacher themselves or to continue their education by taking classes online," Professor X explained, leading me back to his study. "Ah, right back where we started. Here is your schedule and try to be punctual. Bring the usual supplies you would for any class and feel free to come to me if you have any further questions," he said handing me a folder.

"Thank you Professor," I said gratefully.

"I won't require you to attend classes today, but you'll have to start tomorrow."

"Of course, I'll be there." I found my way back to my room without getting lost and excitedly sat down at my desk, opening my folder. I found a map, schedule, "house rules" list, activities, reminders, list of teachers (subject they teach and powers), as well as a personal profile on myself that will be updated as I continue my stay here.

Professor X