How He Found Out

Michael and Jeremy were sitting in the basement, playing video games. The two six-year-olds had been playing Space Invaders for a few hours. It was a one player game, so they just switched who the player was every time one of them lost all three of their lives. You'd expect this to get old pretty fast, but it didn't. They could probably do this all day.

"No!" Jeremy whined as he lost his last life, "I was doing so well!"

Michael leaned over to his friend and hugged him, "You did great, Jer-Bear."

Jeremy giggled and handed the controlled over to Michael, "Thanks Mikey."

Jeremy didn't know why his friend hugged him so much, but he wasn't complaining. He secretly really liked Michael and being close to him. Something about burying his face in Michael's hair was weirdly therapeutic. Being around him just calmed him.

Michael took the controller, but just stared at it for a bit, confusing Jeremy.

"Aren't you gonna play, Mikey?"

Michael looked back up at Jeremy after a moment, he looked pretty serious. He leaned in and whispered to Jeremy, "Can I tell you a secret, Jere?"

"Yeah!"

Michael lowered his voice to an even quieter whisper, and the two leaned in so close, their noses were practically touching, "I'm a werewolf."

Jeremy jerked backwards, "What?"

"I'm a werewolf."

"You're a werewolf!"

"Shhhh! I'm not supposed to tell you! But you're my best and only friend, and friends tell each other everything."

Jeremy nodded, "Okay, I won't tell anyone. I promise."

Michael smiled and hugged Jeremy again. Jeremy burried his head in Michael's fluffy hair and cuddled into the hug with his best friend.

"So... you're like a puppy?" Jeremy asked once they broke apart.

"No! I'm a vicious wolf!" Michael tackled Jeremy and started assaulting him with tickles. Jeremy was flailing about and laughing.

"Stop! Hahaha!" he choked out.

Michael stopped tickling him but continued to lay on top of him and smile down at him, "See? I can be ferocious."

"Yeah." Jeremy agreed, still laughing a bit.

"Rawr."

Jeremy giggled at Michael making 'wolf noises', "I've gotta go to the bathroom. Can you let me up, now?"

"Hmmmmm." Michael thought for a moment, "Yeah, I guess."

Michael rolled off of Jeremy, letting him get up.

While Jeremy left the basement, he started thinking. What did Michael look like as a wolf? Did anyone else know? Were his parents werewolves too? Could he hear and smell everything like wolves do? Did he have to hunt for food? Jeremy and Michael had eaten together plenty of times, but what if he had to hunt for real food, like bunnies and stuff. Was his best friend secretly eating bunnies?! Oh well, even if he is, he's still Jeremy's favorite person, so he decided he wouldn't mind.

"Hey, Michael! I'm back!" Jeremy called as he dashed back down the stairs into the basement. He looked around for his Player 2, but couldn't find him. "Michael?"

Just then, a small wolf pup pounced on Jeremy. His fur was the same colour as Michael's hair and he smelled just like him. "Michael!" Jeremy beamed as he realized this was his friend's wolf form, "You are  a puppy!"

"Yeah, but I'm going to be big and scary when I'm older. When we're teenagers, I'll be normal wolf sized! Then I'll be able to protect you as a big, scary wolf." Michael nuzzled Jeremy's face. Michael knew that Jeremy wanted to see his wolf form.

Jeremy smiled and nuzzled back into him.

When we're teenagers... That meant that Michael expected to be his friend, even when they were older. Michael surely didn't need him, and he'd be much cooler than Jeremy when they were older and Michael could transform into a wolf. Michael wanted to be his friend, though, and that made Jeremy ecstatic.

"We're going to be best friends forever, right, Michael?"

"Of course! What would I do without my Player 1?"