Partners in Crime

For years, Michael Mell and Jeremy Heere have been committing felonies together.

Technically, Michael's first crime was his existence.

Any supernatural creature of any kind is supposed to be killed at birth, but Michael's mothers just couldn't kill their innocent baby.

You see, one of Michael's mothers was a werewolf. She had gone to a sperm bank so her and her wife could have a child. She had prayed that genetics would work in their baby's favour, and that the baby would take after the human sperm-donor.

But that was in vain.

They hid his powers well, however. Michael stayed away from people on the full moons, and both his parents and him worked really hard to make sure he wouldn't lose control. Michael still craved meat on random occasions, but, now, he could settle for some raw meat in the freezer, rather than needing to hunt every day.

Michael was great at keeping his powers under control, and decided that he would be safe, at least for now. His powers became less of a burden, and more of a blessing. He even grew to love his unique powers.

And, so, they kept his secret for years.

Michael and his birth mother were still part of a pack, even though they lived in human civilization and like normal humans. Their pack consisted of many werewolves. Some of them stayed with the pack, traveled with the pack nearly 24/7, and almost never went into their human forms. Others stayed with the pack, but switched freely between their forms. And some, including Michael and his mother, lived like humans, but joined back with the pack every full moon.

Jeremy's first felony came after his mom left.

It wasn't her fault that she left, it really wasn't. She had to leave. She to protect her husband and child. She loved them more than anything in the world, and it broke her heart to leave them, but she couldn't risk putting them in danger any more.

Jeremy's mother was a witch and came from a long line of magicks users. Witchcraft was illegal, and, although she would have been willing to give up her magick to protect her loved ones, she was already being pursued by the police. It was too late for her, but not for her family. She had to run.

She told her husband that she just couldn't love him anymore. That even though she wanted to, she had to leave. She said that she didn't want to see him ever again- which was a massive lie.

Jeremy was a little trickier, though. She looked into his blue eyes, and saw his shattered heart. She couldn't take how much she was hurting him.

"I know you still love him! Y-you guys can work it out, I know it!"

"We can't." She had tried so hard to leave it at that, but Jeremy refused. He knew how his parents looked at one another. The argument lasted longer than Jeremy's mom wanted it to. She caved. She told him that she still loved both of them but that she had to leave if they all wanted to stay alive.

She left that night, leaving both her husband and son at their homes, broken and utterly alone. Her husband crushed that he'd lost the love of his life, and her son terrified that she might die that night, and he would never even know.

After his mom left, Jeremy found all of his mom's old magick book. He hid them under the floorboards and pulled them out every night to study the magick. Slowly, he got better and better, and mastered some of the spells.

One day, Michael dropped by the Heere household without saying anything. He just used his spare keys to get in, and went up to Jeremy's room. He just wanted to surprise his friend, but he ended up being the one to be surprised by what he saw.