Ten Years Later...

Jeremy couldn't believe what he was about to do.

Jeremy was about to propose to his boyfriend of ten years, and his best friend of twenty-two.

Jeremy, who had, long ago betrayed, Michael. Jeremy who consisted of at least 92% anxiety and fear. Jeremy who had had internalized biphobia towards himself for the longest time. Jeremy who often struggled to see any good in himself. Jeremy who was absolutely in love with Michael.

Weeks of planning had gone into how he was going to go about doing this. There were multiple times when Jeremy had almost proposed, but chickened out. Tonight, though, he was determined to finally go through with it.

Michael had never thought too much of their anniversaries, nor had Jeremy. The day simply marked when they first started dating, and it didn't really mean too much to them. They weren't big on stuff like that in general, though. Usually, their anniversaries consisted of binge watching an entire series of something (Harry Potter for their one year anniversary, Lord of the Rings for their second year, et cetera, et cetera) while cuddling.

Unbeknownst to Michael, this year would be very different. Very different indeed.

As far as Michael knew, their ten years' anniversary was dedicated to watching all twenty-five hours of Star Trek together. However, Jeremy had bigger plans.

Jeremy's back was pressed against Michael's chest from where they sat across from the television. Michael's arms were wrapped securely around Jeremy's torso and Jeremy had his arms around Michael's. Their legs were tangled together in front of them. Michael had his chin propped on Jeremy's shoulder, Jeremy, in turn, leaned his head against Michael's.

Although Michael didn't know precisely what was going on, he could tell that Jeremy was more nervous than usual. He had been nervous and jittery all night and Michael was able to pick up on even his slightest of hints.

Jeremy shifted awkwardly, audibly gulped, tightened and loosened his hold on Michael's arms, chewed on his lower lip, cracked his knuckles, and kept taking deep breaths as if preparing to say something and then letting them escape him- among other things.

Michael shifted slightly, "You okay, dude?"

"Yeah, I fine!" Jeremy's voice cracked multiple times.

"Suuuuure." Michael kissed his temple, "You can talk to me, Jere. What's eating you?"

"I have something to give you."

"Awww. You really didn't need to. I thought that we weren't going to do the whole gift exchange thing?"

Jeremy tossed a poorly wrapped package at him, "Yeah, well, I'm a jerk. Open it."

Michael peeled back the paper, chuckling fondly at the Game Theory wrapping paper that Jeremy had used just like he had for his birthday years ago.

When he unwrapped it, inside sat a chewy, green ring of rubber. Michael rolled his eyes, laughing a little, "I thought you were done getting me dog toys."

"Nope, never." Jeremy grinned, "Anyways, I have another one. It's similar, but slightly smaller and I think you'll like it better."

"A Lifesaver?"

Jeremy snorted, "No."

"Darn." Michael grinned.

"It, uh, so..." he cleared his throat, "Yeah, I really hope that you'll like this one better. It's smaller, more expensive, and it comes with a very important question."

Before Michael could respond, Jeremy was down on one knee, holding a ring out for Michael. He took a deep breath, ready to quote Fire Emblem for his proposal "speech", "You are the wind at my back and the sword at my sid-"

Michael cut him off, tackling him to the floor, peppering his face in kisses, and filling the air with "yes!"s.

This was suggested to me by CarlaGoutz. I hope you liked it! 

If you include the Hobbit trilogy, Lord of the Rings is twenty hours, same for Harry Potter.