Jeremy Outside of the Bathroom

"Why did I do that?" Jeremy asked himself aloud as he leaned against a wall. He couldn't comprehend why he had done that, or how he had been able to bring himself to be so awful to his only friend. Michael had been there for him for years, from when they were little to now, and Jeremy had just called him a loser and ditched him in a bathroom, completely alone in the midst of a crowded party.

Michael really hadn't done anything wrong- he had only been trying to help Jeremy. Michael was worried about his Jeremy and just wanted to help his friend out. He wasn't 'jealous' or anything, just concerned. He was being a much better friend than Jeremy had been being. Even after Jeremy had ignored him for days and stopped hanging out with, Michael kept caring about him and his well-being.

Why was Michael so good when Jeremy was such a jerk?

Jeremy was taking Michael's words seriously, even though he would hate to admit that he was questioning the SQUIP. What if Michael was right? What if Jeremy was going insane because of the SQUIP? That would explain why he had been being such an idiot recently. Why he was currently shutting out one of the most important people in his life.

Jeremy rubbed his temples. His head was throbbing and he could practically feel the SQUIP trying to resurface. The SQUIP was struggling, though.

I need to go apologize to Michael.

Jeremy hurried over to the bathroom that he had left Michael in and knocked on the door.

Nothing.

He waited a few moments before knocking again. Jeremy could faintly hear someone saying that they'd be out soon, but it was muffled and sounded like it was choked with tears and anger.

After a few more minutes he thought that he had imagined the other person's response and continued knocking. He tried the handle, but the door was locked and it uselessly clanged in his hands.

Jeremy backed up slightly. Michael probably didn't want to talk to him. Who was he kidding? Of course Michael wouldn't want to talk to him! Why the hell would he? Michael was an amazing friend, but Jeremy had taken him for granted and hurt him over something stupid. Why did he have to be such a horrible human being?

The sound of water running from the faucet within the bathroom snapped Jeremy back to reality. As the footsteps drew nearer to the door, panic shot through Jeremy. What was he doing?

He turned and ran.

I'm going to do something tomorrow that requires a lot of courage, so I may write some more today to keep my mind off of it. Wish me luck! :D