Chapter twenty-five: Envy for a desolate reason:

I panted as I fell to the ground. Ulquiorra walked to me. We were in the dome, training like usual. But today, I had my zanpakuto with me, but I wasn’t intending on using it.

“Maybe you should draw your sword,” Ulquiorra suggested.

“No,” I refused. “I would hurt you if I did.”

“No, you won’t.”

“I would. The last thing I want to do is hurt you.”

“Hmm.” Ulquiorra averted his gaze and looked down.

Nearly one month has passed since we visited Karakura town. “The two of you combined could never defeat me,” a voice echoed in the dome. Both of us looked up. Fang walked slowly towards us, her head bowed low.

“What are you doing here?” Ulquiorra asked.

“Hmm, seems like you two have a soft spot for each other.” Neither of us said anything. “This is the training ground isn’t it? Well, then let’s train.”

I glanced at Ulquiorra. He was staring straight at Fang. “Why would you want to train with us?” he asked.

“To see if you two are worth wasting my time. So, you are Espada numero cuatro?” she asked.

“Indeed,” he replied.

“Hmm.” They stared at each other for a moment. It was as if I wasn’t even there.

“Are we going to train or what?” I said, somewhat getting annoyed.

“Yes, we are,” Fang said averting her gaze from Ulquiorra to me. “Give me your best shot, shingami girl and numero quatro Espada,” I saw her smirk underneath her hood to Ulquiorra. I glanced at him. He looked at Fang unemotionally but I swear I saw a spark in his eyes.  

I flash-stepped behind Fang and readied myself to jolt her with my feet. She effortlessly blocked it and she perforated me with her hand. I blocked it and flung my fist forward to punch her. She took hold of my fist as it came towards her and threw me away like I was a doll. I landed on my feet. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw Ulquiorra draw his sword, ready to strike Fang with it. He would never draw his sword when fighting with me. Does he think that Fang is more of a worthy opponent than me?

I drew my sword. The fire within it warmed me instantly as I felt it in my hands. I felt myself being lit on fire. Ulquiorra and Fang both stopped fighting and looked at me. My whole body was bruning from my zanpakuto’s inferno. I missed you Hotaru, I thought.

“Born and be untouchable, Hotaru Hogoshaka,” I said and my sword was lit on fire. I swung it and a huge wave of fire emerged from it and was fired upon Fang. She blocked it with her hands but was thrown back a couple of feet. As the fire disappeared, Fang appeared not so effected.

I flash-stepped and swung my sword abruptly. I was going to slash Fang if it wasn’t for Ulquiorra. Ulquiorra got his zanpakuto and blocked my sword from hitting Fang. The sound of our swords colliding echoed throughout the dome. I was outraged.

I swung my sword and sheathed it. I looked at Ulquiorra with anger in my eyes and stormed out without a word.

“Running away?” Fang taunted. I clenched my fist. This reminded me of the time when that little girl from the academy taunted me and Kyoraku-sensei years ago. I turned around swiftly and ran to Fang. I was too quick for her. I brought my fist up and pummeled Fang. As she was blown back, I turn and bounded outside.

I panted loudly. Somehow Fang gave me a pang of envy. The way both of them looked at each other made my guts churn. What was this I was feeling? Jealously, envy? What do I feel towards Ulquiorra? Are we friends? Or am I falling in love with him?