Chapter thirty-seven: Realization of a true friend

Chapter Thirty-seven: Realization of a true friend

Rangiku being unsure of what to do as Toshiro and I stared at each other, she stalked off in another direction. Toshiro didn’t oblige as he eyed me uncertainly.

“Toshiro,” I began after a few long moments of silence.

He hesitated. Then he cleared his throat and looked at me grimly. “You betrayed us all.”

“How? I had to leave in order to defeat Aizen. I had no choice; it was either leaving or dying. Do you want me dead Toshiro?”

“It’s Histugaya taichou to you,” he said coldly. “And you are foolish then to think you could do that alone. How many died in order to defeat him?” He drew a sharp breath, and looked down, gasping once more. I knew he did this when he was trying not to let his temper out.

“I wasn’t alone, Toshiro,” I paused and smiled softly. “I remember you asking me if I would call you taichou, if you were to become a captain. I told you I would still call you Toshiro, regardless of you asking me whether or not I am to call you captain. You never denied that. Now I realise you are asking me to call you taichou and my answer still remains the same.”

He looked around him, checking whether or not anyone was around. “I hope your answer will always remain the same,” he whispered looking down. He approached me slowly. Then he abruptly wrapped his small arms around me giving me a hug. I was taken by a huge amount of shock as this was something no one would ever dream Toshiro would do. But of course, I have seen a lot of people that did things no one would imagine they would do.

My lips curved into a smile as I hugged him back tightly. He squirmed as he tried to wriggle out og the hug that was clearly making him feel uncomfortable. “I’m sorry for what I said,” he mumbled.

“I’m sorry for leaving.” Toshiro might always seem like a tough quick-tempered kid but I always knew he had some sort of softness in him.

“Reina,” he said looking up releasing me from the embrace. “I’ve looked at you more than a role model. I looked at you like you were my own sister. You might not see me in the same way, but please believe me when I say this. You are one of the only few people left in this world that I truly care about. I’m sorry, for the things I just said. I said that in order to hide my pain. I missed you. One of the last things you said to me was to be strong, and not to let people creep in and take over me. I’ve tried my best in doing that. I’ve shut everyone out. I’ve tried as hard as I can not to feel attachment anymore, thank you.”

“Oh, Toshiro,” I beamed. I then pulled him in a tight hug. I couldn’t be happier than now.

“Toshiro,” I said as I pulled away. I knelt down to attain the same height as him. I looked straight at him and placed both my hands on his shoulders. “Listen, no matter what, I will always be there for you. I’m glad I’m like your sister, because I truly believe you are my own brother.” I smiled broadly. “This new Toshiro is something I’m going to have to get used to.”

He laughed but instantly turned his face into his usual scowl. I stood up and he bowed towards me. I nodded at him.

Renji was walking to go and see Histugaya taichou in the squad ten barracks when a peculiar scene met his eye. Rangiku’s back was visible as she peered ahead, concealing herself from behind the wall.

“Hi, Rangiku!” Renji greeted cheerfully but Rangiku swiftly turned around and shushed him. Renji crept forward and peered at the scene Rangiku was staring at. Renji couldn’t believe his eyes as he saw his own sister on her knees facing Histugaya taichou. So it’s true, he thought. He widened his eyes as he caught the words that came out of her mouth. ‘…You are my own brother…’ he heard. He felt a pang of jealousy as he realised that Reina might’ve already forgotten about him, instead turning to her former lieutenant that was cold to everyone. So why is Reina different? Renji scowled but his scowling expression swiftly turned into shock as Reina stood up, nodded at him and pulled him into an embrace. Rangiku glanced at me and beamed. Reina hasn’t hugged me for years, ever since I was reunited with her in Konso, he thought with envy. But he tried to shake the thought and feeling away and tried to focus on something more jovial. His oneesan was back.

 A/N: Hello guys! Again, I'd like to apologise for the weird titles for chapters...I'm running out of ideas and also for the short chapter, I felt like it was right to end it there. :D Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed that.

GoddessBlaze

 P.S. I'm so jealous of Reina, she gets along with everyone :/