Chapter 3 - He Looked Like a Rabbit in Car Lights

By the time Adam came down the stairs, I had composed and convinced myself that he wasn’t going to kill me and he was a good guy.

He only wanted to help; I was just so used to not being helped that it frightened me.

Still, I made sure that I was stood by the knives when he came into the kitchen, just in case he tried to make a move on me.

He was rubbing his head with one of my mother’s purple bath towels and as he came in he threw another to me. I hesitantly wiped my face, having fixed my hair beforehand so that I couldn’t embarrass myself further. I still had mud all over myself but I didn't want to think too much about that. Once he was gone, I was going to change and have a nice long shower. 

I was sure that he wasn't going to stay long.

“Are you alright now?” He asked as the kettle boiled and I slowly turned to fill up the cups, leaving him to add his own sugar and milk in.

I nodded slowly and hugged the cup in my hands, enjoying the warmth on my fingertips, even when it stung through the burning heat. I still wasn't comfortable in talking to strangers so having someone in my kitchen was a new experience for me.

What was I supposed to talk about with him?

“I’m not used to having people over.”

Let alone boys, I added to myself. 

Whenever I'd had friends over (this was years ago, may I add) they were all girls. The boys thought that I was odd, even before I started predicting their life.

I hadn't expected to be stood in my kitchen with one for probably a very long time.

“It was a bit mad before. I’m sorry if I scared you.” He picked up his cup and I led him into the living room, sitting carefully with my legs crossed opposite our little TV. He placed his cup on the table and sat opposite me, staring into my eyes, so much so that it made me feel uncomfortable, more so than I was already. “Will you explain to me or shall I just stay quiet and drink my coffee?”

I stayed silent, my brain battling against itself in an internal war.

We drank in silence. I forced myself to avoid eye contact with him as I sipped my cup, desperately wanting to say something but not sure how to start. It shouldn’t have been so difficult, but after promising my mother not to say anything for the past fourteen years, it was hard to break that promise.

I sighed and relaxed slightly in my seat, glancing up to see Adam looking at me curiously. “What?”

“You’re so peculiar.” He answered matter-of-factly.

“Thanks.”

Great.

“In a good way.”

“Of course.” I replied sarcastically.

We sipped our cups again. I opened my mouth to say something but he must have beaten me to it. Somehow he’d moved to sit next to me without me noticing. “Do you see things?”

“Excuse me?” I stared at him, shocked. Surely he hadn’t guessed.

“Like, can you read minds? See ghosts? Something like that?”

I laughed and stared at him as if I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I thought only younger children believed in that. I wasn’t going to admit that I thought it was fascinating when I got my fortune read, or my palm read or even watching ghost whisperers on TV. I wasn't sure if I believed in all of that stuff, but if I had powers then it wasn't hard to believe that others had them too.  “Do you believe in all of that stuff?”