Chapter 9 - I Looked Like a Drowned Poodle

Weekends were always a bore to me. Normal teenagers would go out with their friends on a sunny day either to town, the park, the beach or any other attraction around the area. Obviously, with me not having any friends, that privilege was removed. It didn't bother me as much as it should have done.

One, I was used to it anyway. If you live your life never experiencing something then you never miss having it. That's what I tried to convince myself anyway. Sure, I'd had friends in primary school before things started going a little strange, but that was long ago and I hardly remembered the feeling anymore. 

My closest friend was my mum and even then she wasn't someone I'd call a friend. She was just my mum. 

Two, I liked being on my own anyway. Having friends prevented you from thinking your deepest thoughts every hour of the day. Some people never get the chance to sit on their own and ponder about life because life was flashing past their eyes at every waking minute. With me, I was able to sit and just think for hours at a time without any distractions. It was very peaceful.

However, sometimes peaceful wasn't great. Sometimes I needed loud noises and people around me. That was my problem. I didn't have the choice others had. Some people could deny to go out with their friends if they wanted alone time. I got alone time without even asking for it.

I tried to not let it get to me though. Usually it was quite easy to forget about how different I was when I was at home.

This time, it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. 

Due to the fact that I'd had someone to talk to (unusually) every single day for the past week, it was strange sitting inside with no one to see. I wondered what Adam was doing and whether he was doing okay at home. I wondered what Kai was doing and how he'd react on the Monday. I wondered what the old woman was doing with her day, of all people. 

My weekend was spent mostly thinking about the people at college. There was really nothing else I could do but read. Though, I was finding it surprisingly difficult to emerge myself in the plot of my most recent buy. I never usually had problems getting lost in someone else's life but, for once, I wanted to think more about myself rather than a fictional character.

That was incredibly difficult to do when I tried so hard to block myself out of my thoughts.

Thinking about myself always put me down. I wouldn't be able to explain it to anyone if anyone asked. It was as if I wasn't good enough for myself. I always wondered why I was the way I was and whether there was a point to my power. I never found the answer when I thought about it so I always tried to avoid doing so. However, now that Adam and Kai had started talking to me, at least for now, I couldn't help but ask myself those questions again.

Was there ever a point to a power?

Well, Superman used to save the day.

He had loads of powers though.

I always wondered if anyone else had a power like me. Surely, if I had something then someone else would too, otherwise why would I have been specifically chosen? I wasn't exactly very special. I wasn't the cheerleader or the attractive one or even the nerd which some people liked, even if not everyone did. I didn't go to any groups, didn't have any hobbies and never actually went further than ASDA on my travels. I didn't even have a fully completed happy family. I was boring and uninteresting so why was I the one stuck with the 'gift'?

Was it because that there wasn't anything remotely great about myself? Did the universe really have to force a power on me to allow me to have some purpose on the planet?

This was why I preferred reading during the weekend and not thinking about myself.

How depressing.