Chapter 31 - Word Passed Like WildFire

Waiting for my landlord so might aswell do a chapter!

WARNING: SLIGHTLY DISTURBING IMAGERY 

---------------------------------------

With Lorraine's and my nan's help, I was able to focus on my gift and expand on it's power. I knew that it was only a matter of time until Kai wanted me back on track with figuring out who attacked his brother so I wanted to be a professional by the time that came. 

I had managed to go to college. It was horrible at first but, by the end of lunch, people had just started carrying on with their lives. I had a few people, such as Brett and Jessica, who would snigger and point and pass nasty comments about me when I could hear, but most of the student body didn't really care about what had happened to me. 

Of course, word had passed like wildfire and no one had commented on Mr Dawson's sudden departure. I was glad that no one had approached me but, at the same time, I felt just as lonely as I had done at the beginning of the year. I hadn't seen Adam and it was starting to concern me.

It must have been days since he'd actually come to class.

Kai stayed away from me, though he continued to give me knowing looks. I knew he wanted me to be ready before I started on his problem - he wasn't that bad, really - but I also knew he didn't want to wait for long. The longer I took to find the right person, the worse it got for him and his family. I was surprised that no one had come up to me and smuggled me away from the college.

It was my second day when I finally found some answers. 

I had my ipod music blaring in my ears as I walked to college quite apprehensively, checking out my gift as I passed people, brushing against them purposely so that I could blur the vision from my eyes. My nan had been amazed at how quickly I'd picked up the strength to control my vision and she was now currently trying to dim my visions when they occurred. I hadn't got the hang of it just yet but she said that it was difficult anyway at first and that it came with practice only. 

The stone Lorraine gave me really helped too. It was constantly hung around my neck so I didn't even notice it anymore. The buzz from the power was just like background noise, though it became more noticable when I responded to a vision. With the constant flashes in my head as I touched things to help my development, it exhausted me and, by the time I got to college, I usually just wanted to sleep.

This time, however, I froze on the spot as a familiar car travelled alongside me. I almost jumped out of my skin. I didn't know how to react or what to even say when the car died next to me and the door opened, showing a half hidden Adam, bending his head to avoid my eyes, a hat pulled firmly to shadow his features. 

Standing there like a melon, I opened and closed my mouth like a fish. What could I say to someone who hadn't even bothered to get in contact with me the past few days? I didn't know whether to feel relieved or furious, or even both. 

"Hi, Megan." he whispered.

His voice kicked me into gear and I stormed towards him, flinging my earphones out of my ears and whacking my hands against his chest so forcefully that he stumbled backwards into the car door. "WHAT THE HELL, ADAM?! IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY?! WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?! IF YOU DIDN'T WANT ME THEN YOU COULD HAVE AT LEAST TOLD ME INSTEAD OF IGNORING ME UNTIL NOW! I THOUGHT SOMETHING HAD HAPPENED, YOU IDIOT!!" I smacked his chest as hard as I could and didn't realise that I'd started crying until a tear dripped off my chin. I scrubbed it roughly from my face and sniffed, annoyed at myself for getting upset. "I can't believe you'd do that to me! I needed you, Adam! I bloody needed you!" My voice broke as I continued to half heartedly whack my fists against his chest.