Chapter 34 - Shrieking like a Distressed Monkey

I know it's been a while but I've had exams! I'm back now though so I'm able to update again!
I'm sorry I left you on such a cliffhanger hahah. Hopefully this chapter will tie some things up! Might be a bit scrambled because I'm out of practice!

-------------------------------------

I didn't want to open my eyes.

It felt unreal. It felt like a dream. I couldn't seem to process what was fully going on. 

I just wanted to stay locked up in my own little world, curled into a ball, wishing that I didn't exist.

Things brushed my shoulders but I didn't even respond to it. I was too focussed on myself to worry about what was going on around me. It wasn't until something was draped over my shoulders did I actually flinch and lift my head slightly. 

The room had emptied significantly, leaving only a few people dotted around, taking pictures and chatting to themselves. I wasn't sure who they were and my vision was blurry because my eyes were puffy from crying but they seemed to be in similar clothes and they weren't doing me any harm. I wasn't even sure if they'd noticed me. 

It was only for the fact that I had something wrapped around me which gave any indication that they knew I existed. I think they were afraid to move me. 

I twisted my head slightly to see the rest of the room and my eyes suddenly landed on a set of bright blue ones. I jumped, shrieked and shuffled backwards onto my bum as his face loomed into view. He wasn't like the others. He wasn't wearing similar clothing and he seemed to be the only one paying any notice of me.

Well, that was until I started shrieking like a distressed monkey.

Now most of them were looking at me with sympathetic stares, like they knew exactly what I'd just gone through by personal experience. I don't think many people had experienced the kind of people I'd experienced the past few weeks so the looks they were giving me weren't exactly helping.

My eyes finally trained back on the guy who had been staring at me first. His eyes were sympathetic but, other than that, he seemed as if he wasn't going to even mention why I was currently curled in a ball against the sofa. He was crouched to my height but he looked too big to be in that position. It looked uncomfortable but he was obviously making a great effort not to be threatening towards me.

"Megan?" He asked and slowly extended his hand towards me. 

I stared at him like he'd just grown a new head. Did he think I was stupid? I wasn't going to touch him until I knew who he was. He looked like one of the guys who had came in with the group to be identified. I didn't know whether he was part of another gang or not and I definitely didn't want to get involved. Also, I was tired and exhausted and I didn't think that I'd be able to handle pushing back memories if he had scars on his skin.

Instead, I took the safe option and just stared at him like a crazed human being. He seemed to realise that I wasn't going to touch him and just dropped his hand. However, just to give him the time of day, I nodded my head slightly to answer him. He smiled, as if it was exactly what he'd wanted to hear.

"You're safe now, Megan. We're here to help you. Do you want to come with me? I'm Officer Gavin Zayne. You can trust me." 

I eyed him suspiciously, not sure whether to trust him. 

He seemed to notice this too and smiled, his eyes sparkling. "You're right to be suspicious but you can trust me."

"A-Adam." I whispered shakily and looked it him, hoping that he got the message. 

His face seemed to brighten and he adjusted his crouch. "I'll take you to him. He's a bit messed up. I should have intervened earlier, I'm sorry. I just needed to know what was happening and I didn't want you to be in danger. Will you come with me?"