Chapter 5 - Crumpled on the Floor like a Wounded Animal

I huffed as I rushed through the school gates the next morning. 

I knew that I was going to sleep well but I didn't know that I'd sleep so well that I'd sleep through my alarm clock. The bed was just too comfortable to move from. It was almost warmer than it was supposed to be, and it took all of my strength to force myself awake and look at the clock.

Then I panicked, shoved my clothes on and literally stormed out of the house without even eating anything. I hadn't even brushed my hair properly so, right now, it was a mess of dark strands, my eyes wide with shock. 

I hadn't slept in in so long so, although it was nice to have the extra hour, it had only given me about 10 minutes to rush to school. There was no way I was going to make it unless I ran for the hills.

That was exactly what I did.

I didn't even have enough time to think about anything as I burst through the classroom door, breathing hard as I fumbled with my gloves, shoving them on. Almost everyone was in their seats so when I came in, everyone stared.

I was used to people looking straight through me or ignoring me completely, so being in the firing shot of sniggers and evil glares really wasn't something I wished for in the morning, especially as I looked so dreadful with absolutely no make up on whatsoever. 

I quickly tucked my arms in towards my chest and struggled to the back of the class, slumping in the nearest empty seat away from people. Psychology was one of my favourite classes but it didn't mean that I was going to participate. Mr Dawson hadn't yet arrived so I was lucky not to get caught rushing through the door. 

I noticed, as I sat down, pulling out my stuff for the lesson, that we had a new kid in the class this time. 

Adam was sat in the middle of the class, surrounded by a group of lads, smiling gently at the conversation they were having. He hadn't even looked up when I'd come in. It wasn't as if I'd expected anything else. Most people would have chosen to be in the popular crowd than with the freak. Showing that he knew me would have definitely lowered him in everyone's eyes. To be honest, I was glad that he hadn't processed me. I didn't want to think about what he would do with the information he'd found out last night. 

Shaking my head free of the thoughts, I was careful to move my stuff so that there would be no way that I would be able to hit anyone else throughout the class. Luckily, I'd been able to snag the corner seat at the back and I had a spare seat next to me so I didn't have to bother too much about anyone besides the girl in front of me, who was currently bending over, scribbling something on the table. 

It was unlikely that I was going to need to worry about contact for at least an hour. This was probably why I liked Psychology so much. Mr Dawson was also very friendly and quite lenient about my condition. He never made any comments and he treated me like everyone else. 

He was probably the only teacher who ever did.

He was nothing like Ms Cochran.

Once class got started, I craned my hearing casually, trying to catch any conversation which the boys were having. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't bothered what Adam was going to say about me, if he was going to mention me at all. Though I had been nothing but truthful to him, I didn't really want to let everyone else know about how much of a freak I was.

He hadn't seemed to have mentioned anything about me, though considering the sniggers their group were producing, I was very curious as to what they were actually talking about. He still hadn't even given any slight amount of attention towards me and, for some reason, I was slightly bothered by that fact.