Chapter 21 - Flying Above the Clouds

I was currently flying above the clouds. 

I knew the books I'd read didn't give it credit. Kai kissing me had to be one of the greatest feelings I'd ever known.

True it was wet and very weird, but I was adjusting to it.

Maybe he was just a brilliant kisser.

How would I know? I'd never kissed anyone else before.

I'd been way too afraid to see something which I'd rather not see in that kind of situation.

Kissing was supposed to be romantic with fireworks and sparklers and all that gushy stuff. I didn't want to experience a vision when I would be missing out on something like that.

Therewere no fireworks or sparklers but I still enjoyed it.

Kai's fierceness was shocking but I was glad that he'd finally 'done the deed.'

I had to thank Adam later. Afterall, it was his fault. Kai probably wouldn't have done anything if it hadn't have been for Adam's genius idea of trying to make him jealous.

Books really weren't that far from the truth. Sure, they exaggerated a hell of a lot, but I was expecting that. I knew it wouldn't be all happy music in the background or 'love at first sight' or anything like that. I knew all of that stuff took a lot of time and work to develop. Still, I could definitely get used to kissing.

However, what I didn't want to get used to was the look of utter shock and guilt that flew past Kai's features once he pulled away from me. I immediately felt that I wasn't good enough for him and now he was going to leave me to be with someone else, probably someone more worth his time rather than a broken freak who wouldn't leave him alone. 

I was sure that people who'd just come out of a kiss like that didnt actually look the way he did. His hair was flicking in odd angles and his cheeks were slightly pink, his breathing heavy and off beat, but his eyes were smothered in nothing but sadness and awkwardness. 

I stepped back a bit and bumped into the car behind me, realising that Kai still had me pinned against the car door. I didn't want to see the expression on his face but I couldn't help but stare at him, wondering what the hell he was thinking about.

Finally, before I could pull my hair out of my head, he sighed and stepped back away from me, freeing me. His hand ran through his hair and suddenly his expression turned blank. My heart dropped. "I'm sorry." he muttered and stepped back further. "I shouldn't have done that."

"Kai...?" I stopped to clear my throat but Kai was backing off further as he moved around the car.

Oh god, I was terrible at kissing. Of course I would be.

"I need to go. My dad wants me back home. I have stuff I need to do. I can drop you back home if you like?" 

Without waiting for an answer, Kai opened the car and sat in the driver's seat.

I couldn't move.

That definitely wasn't what I expected to happen afterwards. I thought he'd at least ask me out or something. Wasn't that how it went in movies? Didn't the first kiss seal the deal? Did Kai even want to kiss me again?

Finding the courage to move without blinking out the tears that were threatening to fall, I opened the car door behind me and got in, not allowing myself to look up and meet Kai's gaze. 

I'd ruined everything.

Why did I have to go along with Adam's stupid plan? Now everything was going to be awkward. Kai just wanted to be friends. Why had I pushed him so hard? Why was I such a pain in the ass?