Chapter 8 - Her Eyes Glowed like Flying Saucers

I was weird having lunch with someone, even though I'd been eating with Adam after college almost every day that week. Kai was completely different to hang out with. He seemed dangerous, not gentle, which I kind of enjoyed. He also didn't seem to care if he was seen outside with me.

I wished that Adam was like that instead of worrying about his friends, though I guess Kai was different in that category too. 

From what I was aware of, Kai didn't have any friends. He sat on his own in Accountancy and I never saw him at lunch, though I did hide myself away so I wasn't surprised there. However, every time I saw the back of his head or his hooded shadowed face he always seemed to be on his own. I guess he didn't mind being classed with hanging out with the freak. 

He was an outsider too.

Whilst I ate, trying desperately hard not to stare at Kai like a lost puppy, Kai chatted about his classes and his family. He had a one year old alsatian dog called Yogie who loved to bounce around on the beach and play ball. Kai was training him at the moment and apparently he'd recently been taught the command 'come' in which he'd get a treat every time he came back to Kai. 

Kai also had a younger brother who was currently in school. He tried to take him out as much as possible but Kai was always busy with other things when his brother was free so they didn't spend much time together. He was too young to do much anyway besides taking him to the park or the cinema. 

He didn't seem to mind that I hardly talked to him. He was happy just rambling away casually whilst we ate. For that, I was glad. I was enjoying his ramblings and openness without feeling pressured to contribute. He didn't seem like the boy who had come into my class earlier on in the week. He still never questioned my gloves and I almost forgot, for the first time ever, that I had them on. 

It startled me and made Kai stop in mid-conversation for a moment, his eyes searching my face. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and pushed my plate to the side of me. Considering as we'd only had something little to eat, I was completely satisfied.

I was also happy with the company I had and so I smiled at him, receiving a smile back. 

"How much work do you have left?" He asked, cocking his head to the side as he watched me.

I couldn't help but blush at his gaze. "About half an hour's work."

He nodded then stood up, pulling the bags back onto his shoulder. "Best get going then."

Slightly disappointed, I stood up and fluffed up my hair, slightly self conscious. Almost immediately, his free hand grabbed mine and he pulled me along out of the shop. His hand was large and completely captured my own. It made me feel uneasy but safe at the same time. He felt powerful and completely in control. I wasn't too sure if I was alright with that.

As we walked back towards the college where I assumed he was parked, something - or rather someone -  caught my eye. I wasn't even sure why she did. I hadn't noticed her before but she seemed to have been sitting there for a while. The greying woman had her eyes boring into the side of my head like daggers. She was practically glaring at me. As I turned to look at her, I realised why I wouldn't have noticed her before.

She had blankets scattered on the floor with straw baskets at each corner. Her clothes, several layers of them, were well-worn and torn in places at the bottom. She had a small grey cloche hat on, hiding her wild frizzy hair which cut off short near her chin.The rest of her belongings were all grey and practically hanging off her. Her hands were coated in laced grey gloves and her skin was colourless underneath.

Her eyes glowed like flying saucers, and they were staring almost straight through me.

I felt a shiver run down my spine but I tried to ignore it as we passed her. She was so colourless that I must have thought that she was some kind of entertainer who painted themselves grey and handed out sweets to children.