Chapter 12 - Being Friends is Social Suicide

I froze, processing what he was actually asking.

He wanted me to talk about Kai? What was there to talk about?

Sure, Kai had asked the same thing about Adam but that was different. He hadn't come right out and asked me about him. Adam was so to-the-point that I wondered whether Adam and Kai had temporarily switched places.

A blush began to dance on my cheeks and I looked away, suddenly weary of Adam's watchful gaze. 

I could feel his smile and I just wanted my bed to gobble me up and never spit me out again. Kai was easy to talk to because he made it practically impossible to ignore him and his requests. Adam was different. Hearing about his dad and what he had to go through each night made me feel nervous about him and how he'd react to anything I said. 

"Um...What do you want to know?" I stammered as I felt Adam make himself more comfortable on the bed.

He smiled but it didn't meet his eyes until a few moments later. "What's going on?"

"I-I don't know what you're on about."

"Oh come on, Megan." He sighed and I turned to see him rolling his eyes at me. "I see how he looks at you. I see how you guys respond to each other. He'd not scared to touch you. Does he know about you? Do you like him?"

I swallowed and bit my lip, turning to him so that I could look into his face, trying to push down my pink cheeks. "He doesn't know anything about my condition."

"But you like him?"

I paused, not wanting to answer. I hadn't given it much thought because I was so new to the whole thing of having company. I didn't understand flirting very well and I couldn't understand the feelings I got whenever I was near someone of the opposite sex. I didn't know what I felt so asking if I liked him was a difficult question. I liked his company and I liked the fact that he wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me but I wasn't sure if I felt anything romantically.

How could you even describe that feeling to someone who had never experienced it before?

I hadn't even had a friend to discuss these types of things as a child.

What was the difference between Kai and Adam?

I suddenly felt bad for comparing them, like I'd been subconsciously doing for the past few days. Adam and Kai weren't the same and so there was no way that I'd feel the same thing for both of them. I didn't even know what I felt to even pinpoint anything on either of them.

I shrugged honestly. "I don't know."

"What do you mean?" He raised his eyebrows, obviously not expecting my answer to come out like that.

I licked my lips and glanced at his face. 

He was slightly leaned forward but not enough to make me uncomfortable (not like I'd feel uncomfortable), his eyes trained on me, his hands clasped on his lap, the scar on his lip curving when he bit his lip. 

The temptation to touch it unnerved me.

"I mean I don't know. I like his company and how he's not embarrassed to talk to me in college."

I saw Adam lower his gaze almost guiltily but I didn't stop to make the moment awkward.

"I like how he's so bold and isn't afraid to come near me despite the fact that he doesn't know about my condition. I like that he's a loner as well so he knows how I feel but there's something about him I don't trust. I don't know if I like him or just his company and the attention I'm receiving."