Chapter 17 - I was Such an Idiot

Okay, back on my laptop! However, I have a hell of a lot of work to do this week; my course is really pushing us. I may not update as much as I'd like to but I'll try! :D

------------------

The rest of the week went by in almost a blur. I drifted through my lessons only half concentrating on what I was supposed to be doing. I still kept to myself but, before and after college, I was able to give my hands more air to breathe. 

Adam was weary at first. He'd told me about his abusive dad and had promised me not to tell anyone and I guess he was just making sure that I'd keep by that promise. Kai was none the wiser and Adam preferred it that way. 

I'd been able to put off seeing Kai until after Adam had left my house. Though he insisted that he'd drop me off, I was adamant that Adam was going to do it as it was kind of our thing. I dont think Kai was too pleased with the fact that me and Adam even had a thing but I wasn't going to tell him the real reason behind why Adam spent so much time at my house. It wasn't my secret to tell and, if I was honest with myself, I liked the after school meetings with Adam.

He still kept his distance at college but he wasn't afraid to be seen around me. I think the only reason he stayed away now was because Kai was hanging around so often. I really liked the guy but sometimes I wanted time to be with my friends (or friend in this case.) However, I wouldn't have swapped it. Kai looked after me, made me feel special and protected me from everyone.

I hardly ever got bullied anymore and I knew it was because of him.

Brett and Jessica had kept their distance but it hadn't stopped them glaring at me in Law and sniggering like little school children. I didn't pay much attention to them though. In fact, I spent as much attention on them as anyone else. I just wanted to be left to myself in my classes so I didn't experience visions of their life.

Luckily, since having Adam and Kai around, I hadn't been having as many. I was either being more precautious or they were making sure that no one but them actually touched my skin. I was grateful. Kai was probably more of a help than Adam during the day but Adam still helped. 

Their closeness to me when they walked beside me or talked to me almost looked as if they were shielding me from the rest of the student body.

I was far from complaining.

Friday came quickly and, in no time at all, I was starting to worry. Jamie had invited me and Kai to his party on the Saturday and I had no idea what I was going to wear. I needed something which would be able to protect me from the clumsy drunkards that were going to be there but I didn't want to look like a nun.

I couldn't exactly ask Kai or Jamie about what I was supposed to wear. They clearly wouldn't care. I needed a female friend to guide me but I knew I was asking too much. 

Girls never wanted anything to do with me.

Adam must have sensed my worry because his eyes continuously glanced towards me as he drove me home after college. His fingers drummed over the steering wheel almost nervously when he caught me looking at him but he didn't say anything. I knew he was waiting for me to start the conversation.

He wanted to know but he didn't want to be nosy.

I had yet to tell him about the party.

I know, I know. I'm a terrible friend. To be fair, I was still getting used to having company!

I bit my lip as I stared out of the window, unsure how to bring it up without sounding ridiculous. Adam was probably going to be at the party anyway! I didn't know why I felt so nervous about admitting it!