❦ Chapter 39 - Escape

*Melody*

I groaned as I woke up and felt hands fumbling at my wrists, pain shooting up my arm and making me whimper.

"Shush!" A voice sneered in a whisper

I hazily looked up and was shocked with who I was.

"Listen to me carefully," My mother said as she untied my wrists. "You're currently at the Santa Monica Pier warehouse. Exit the door there, take the one at your right, and keep going down the stairs until your reach an emergency exit and take it into the alley."

I looked at her weird as she continued untying the ropes, my injured wrist hurting too much as I tried to hold back noise.

"Follow the stone path out of the pier and find a way to get police here," she said as she undid the ropes at my ankles and pulled the tape out of my mouth. "Don't look back, and don't stop running, no matter what."

"Why are you helping me?" I asked. "You left me..... I'm here because of you..."

"And I'm sorry, Melody, it wasn't even supposed to be like this. You should be with your father at this point but something changed," she said, then sighed.

"I couldn't handle being a mother," she said, looking down. "You deserved better than some druggie. I should have taken you to Jeremy at first chance, but he was already gone... When I found him again after all these years, I had to tell him, maybe just for closure... I never wanted you involved with me because you would have gotten hurt... And that's exactly what happened."

I frowned at her words.

"You're better off with Jeremy, and his fiance. At least they could be able to raise you," she said.

I sighed and took her hand. She looked up at me weirdly.

"Come with me. We can get you the help you need. Its not too late...." I said.

She is still my mother. I cannot hate her for what she done.

"For me, believe me it is.... I'm so sorry for what I've done to you...." she said, holding my hand. "You deserved so much better, and I hope eventually you can forgive me for the pain I caused you."

Suddenly we hear a door open outside.

"Damn it. Just, go hide," She said as she pushed me away.

"Will I ever see you again?" I asked.

She hesitated, but sighed. "I don't know... Maybe one day we'll cross paths again," she said. "Now go, hide, I'll let you know when to make the run for it."

I nodded and I quickly hid behind a large crate in the corner.

I gulped as I quietly looked over and see my captors walk in and stood before my biological mother.

"Where's your little runt, Vicky?" One snapped.

"I don't know! Fucking brat probably took off, I swear!!" She said and quietly motioned with her hand at me to move to the door.

I carefully and quietly crawled across the room, remaining hidden behind the large piles of materials as they argued with my mother.

I was now few feet away from the door when suddenly...

"NO, STOP-!"

BANG!!

I gasped and covered my mouth as the leader pulled out a gun and shot my mother in the chest, and she collapsed to the ground.

I stared in horror as she laid on the ground and suddenly went still.

No...

"ITS THE KID!! GET HER!!" One suddenly shouted and I immediately realized I was caught and took off out the door to where my mother told me to run and quickly ran as fast as I could down the stairs.

I kept running, hearing gunshots above me as they tried to keep up, and I then got and idea and came up to a broken window on one of the floors, climbing up on the sill and slipping through one of the opening, scratching myself with glass in the process before hopping down onto a large crate and then dropping a few feet to the ground and stumbling on pavement, scraping my knees and hands in the process.

Ouch...

I got up and looked back.

That should buy me some time.

I heard them coming close and took off as quick as I could.

I panted as I ran as fast as I could, hearing them behind me, soon fading as I maneuvered through the buildings, trucks and freight containers.

I then turned a corner and suddenly hit a large mass hard and almost fell to the ground if a pair of hands hadn't caught me.

I screamed loud and tried to fight when suddenly.....

"Its alright, its alright, I'm police!! I'm police!!" The voice said and I calmed down and looked to see it actually was police, dressed in a bullet proof vest and a jacket.

I panted as I calmed down and he held his arms protectively around me as two heavily armed officers hurried past us.

"Its okay, you're safe," he assured as I calmed down and I noticed a swarm of armored police and other officers swarmed the area and headed to the warehouse I escaped from.

"Come on, let's get you somewhere safer, sweetheart. Are you Melody Ferguson?" He asked.

I gulped and nodded. "I-I am," I said.

"Alright, Melody, My name is Detective Liam Fletcher, with the Los Angeles Police Department. Come on, let's get you looked at by the medics," he said.

I hesitated, still scared.

"You can trust me, Melody. I'm helping your father," he said. "Jeremy Ferguson, and his girlfriend, Alice Moggs. Your friend, Elias, is also my nephew."

I looked up at him with wide eyes.

"You're family and friends has been looking all over the state for you," He said. "They're waiting to see you."

My father... My family... My friends.... I can see them again....

As I took some wobbly steps, my legs were feeling shaky and i felt dizzy.

"I-I..." I mumbled and suddenly felt everything blur to black and my feet gave out from beneath me, aside from the detective catching me before i lost consciousness.

~~~~~

Melody is now safe!!

Next chapter coming soon, most  tonight. 🌺

🎹Currently in Sapph's playlist:

Marshmello "Alone"

♡~ sapphire.