❦ Chapter 41 - My Fault

*Alice*

I sat by Melody's hospital bed as she slept soundly.

Melody sustained some bruises from being beaten from the trafficker, followed by a broken wrist, the injury to her head that she recieved from when she was being kidnapped, some cracked ribs, and some cuts and scrapes from when she was escaping.

Police questioned her and she told them everything before they left.

She was a bit worried her broken wrist would affect her violin playing, but doctors assured her it wasn't a severe break and she could be able to play once her cast is removed.

Despite all of that, if she takes it easy, Melody is going to be alright. She might even be able to leave in 2 days after some needed rest.

Right now Jeremy was outside with the guys discussing something while I watched over Melody..

It wasn't long until Jeremy then entered the room quietly with a shocked look in his face.

"Hey," I whispered. "Everything alright?"

He sighed as he sat down. "Yeah... They caught the traffickers and are getting locations of more of their rings, but....." 

I frowned. "What?" 

He sighed as he sat down. "Victoria Hayes is dead," he said.

My eyes widen in horror. "Melody's mother?"

He nodded. "Shot in the chest.... The bullet ruptured a heart valve, she bled out in seconds," he said.

"My god.... Did police kill her?" I asked.

"No... Police already found her dead, probably killed by the same bastards who took Melody," Jeremy sighed.

"Poor woman, though," I said sadly.

Suddenly we heard a soft cry and turned to see Melody was awake, and tears streamed down her face as she curled up on her side.

"Melody?" Jeremy asked worriedly as we rushed to her side. "Sweetheart, what's wrong? Does something hurt?"

She just cried quietly. "S-She tried to help me," she sobbed.

"Who?" I asked.

"M-My mother," she cried.

Our eyes widen at this. "Victoria helped you escape?" I asked.

Melody sniffled and nodded. "S-She told me how to get out, a-and she told me she gave me up because she wasn't ready to be my mom," she said.

I frowned as she continued.

"T-Then when they w-we're coming I had to hide, and.... And she played it off that I escaped, b-but they didn't believe her, and-and...."she stuttered before bursting into tears.

Jeremy pulled his sobbing daughter into his arms, soothing her.

"I-Its my fault she is dead," she cried.

"Melody," Jeremy gasped as he pulled back, looking into her face. "Why would you say that?!"

"N-None of this would have happened b-because of me w-wanting to know," she cried. "I-If I was n-never born, she-she wouldn't have even been on drugs, or-or..."

"Melody, stop, stop it," Jeremy said sternly, holding her face in his hands. "Don't you dare finish that sentence."

She looked up at her father with teary eyes.

"Your mother being killed was not your fault," he said as I walked over and held Melody's hand. "Victoria was already on drugs and down a dark path long before you were even born. What happened to her, none of it is on you."