Chapter 17: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

17. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Melanie's POV

I adjusted my skirt then rang the bell. Shawn answered.

"Hey," he said. "What are you doing here?"

"Hey," I grinned. "Sorry for stopping by unannounced. I just thought we could hang out."

"Uh...yeah sure," he said, opening the door wider so I could come in. "Not really up for going out though so we can just hang here."

"That's fine. Anyone home?"

"Just Carson and Lilah. They're upstairs."

I didn't like his soon to be sister-in-law. She practically attacked me once 'questioning my motives'. Please.

He fell back on the couch. His hair was messy but he still managed to look good, as always. He's been down lately, I'll admit. And it's all because of that stupid Khalan girl. I missed him. I wanted him back.

"So," I began as I sat next to him. "What do you want to do?"

He shrugged. "I'm up for anything."

I smirked and leaned onto his chest, tracing a circle with my index. "Anything huh?"

He quickly got up. "Mel, what are you doing? I've already told you, things are complicated enough."

I rolled my eyes. "You know, you used to be much more fun in Melbourne."

He shrugged again. "Guess I'm different now."

He still had an accent, though it definitely wasn't as thick as mine.

I noticed he left his phone beside me on the couch. An idea clicked in my head. If Khalan wasn't going to leave him alone then I'd make her.

"Can I get some orange juice please?" I asked sweetly.

"I don't know if we have some but I'll check," he replied and walked into the kitchen.

I quickly grabbed his phone. His lock screen made me gag. It was a picture of her laughing. Obviously taken off guard but I'll admit, she didn't look horrible. No password, excellent. I went through his contact list and found her name. I quickly hid the phone behind my back, making sure my finger hovered over the call icon.

"Sorry, we're out," he said when he finally returned. "Want anything else?"

"That's fine."

"Sorry I'm being such a downer," he apologized. "Not exactly in the best mood."

I gave him a look. "It's that Khalan girl isn't it?"

"Mel..."

"Get over her Shawn. You never had any problem with changing girls."

"It's not so easy this time around."

I needed to push him. Get him to say the right...or wrong thing.

"You know," I began. "You can start by convincing yourself."

He chuckled sourly. "Like that'll work."

"Go on," I told him. "Tell yourself you're done and it's over. Soon you'll start believing it."

He shook his head. "Why bother."

Just say it gosh.

"Just...try it out, it might work," I persuaded.

He sighed. "Fine."

Yes! I quickly brought my finger down tapped the call icon.

"I'm done with her," he reluctantly said.