Chapter 23: Always Up For An Adventure

23. Always Up For An Adventure

I threw the phone aside. I really don't know why I just texted Shawn. Okay maybe I just assumed he'd be willing to talk. Now I was freaking out. My phone vibrated and I slowly picked it and read the text.

Be there in 10 ;).

A small smile crept onto my face. I didn't even expect him to get into his car and drive here. I quickly got out of bed and traded my pajama shorts for sweatpants and wore a sweater over my tank top. I redid my messy ponytail as neatly as I could in the dark. Shawn texted me when he pulled up in the driveway. I told him I was coming down and crept stealthily downstairs, making sure I didn't wake anyone up. I slowly shut the front door and walked to his car.

"You didn't need to come here you know," I chuckled once I got in.

He started the engine again and smiled. "You know me, always up for an adventure. Plus I could barely fall asleep myself so I figured why not."

I laughed a little. "So...where exactly are we going?"

He shrugged. "Anywhere we want."

"Vegas," I joked.

He laughed. "Vegas?"

"A girl can fantasize can't she?" I retorted playfully.

We ended up going to the park and playing around on the swing set. When we got tired of that we just sat on top of the monkey bars talking.

"I forgot how fun the park was," I chuckled.

"Well when you have a six year old sister trust me, you never do," he mused.

"Hey how is Harper?" I asked at the mention of her name.

"She's doing a lot better," he replied. "Though she does ask of you a lot. She's kinda noticed you're not around so much anymore."

I instantly felt a little bad and he noticed it.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, don't apologize," I gently interrupted. "It's not your fault."

"Sorry to go on but the Mitchell household really isn't the same without you," he chuckled.

I was actually very comfortable around Shawn's family. His father even warmed up to me though we didn't converse much.

"I'm sure my presence doesn't really make a difference," I remarked skeptically.

He shook his head. "You're wrong. Michaels in a way you changed everybody in that house, not just me. I mean Lilah, Isabelle and Marge have someone to fuss over, Harper adores you to death and my brothers finally have something to tease me with."

I laughed a little.

"Even my father likes you. Since you stepped in we've all changed...acting more like a...family."

I felt heat rising to my cheeks. "Okay you can stop talking now."

He noticed I was a bit flushed and laughed. "Well for the record I think it's cute how you don't take compliments so well."

Cue more blushing.

"Okay I am prepared to punch you in the face now," I threatened playfully.

He laughed again. "Okay...okay I'll stop."

I just kept smiling and rolled my eyes, a comfortable silence overcoming us.

He eventually spoke. "So...are you going to tell me why you couldn't sleep?"

Because I didn't take the pills.

I shrugged however, and lied through my teeth. "Same as you. I just couldn't fall asleep."

He was clearly unconvinced.

"Really? Because the Khalan Michaels I know can fall asleep with her eyes open," he joked.

I laughed.

"No seriously," he gently said. "You can trust me."

"I know," I told him and sighed, before admitting the truth. "The accident. I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep since then."

He nodded in understanding. "I get it. When my mother passed I kept imagining how she died. How it must have been so painful."

"Well how did you get through it?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Carson, found me one night yelling in my sleep. I slept in his room every night till they passed."

I smiled at that.

"You'll be okay Khalan," he said. "It may not look like it now, but you will."

My heart was thumping hard against my chest. It was times like this he made it so incredibly hard not to love him. His breathing was slow, and his blue eyes bore right into mine.

Oh screw it.

I leaned in, but before I could press my lips on his a loud roar of thunder overcame the silence of our breaths.

We both looked up.

"I think it's going to rain," he said softly.

I lowered my gaze and my eyes met his. "Yeah."

"We should go," he continued.

I inhaled sharply and immediately jumped down, not sure what was happening here. He followed my lead and got down as well.

"We should um...go," I said. "Before it starts pouring out here."

He nodded. "Let's go."

We got into his car and he drove me back home.

"Thank you," I sincerely told him. "It was a...nice night."

He chuckled. "Always here Princess."

I smiled and got out. "I'll catch you later."

"Hey Michaels," he called, stopping me.

I bent down and spoke through the rolled down window. "Yes?"

"Why did you reach out to me tonight?" he asked. "I didn't think I'd be the first person you'd want to hang out with at this point."

I offered him a small smile and answered. "Because I know you. Always up for an adventure."

I winked before turning around and sneaking back into my home.