Chapter 26 (1/2): Could This Be Any More Cliché?

26. Could This Be Any More Cliché?

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU OVERTHINKING SMART ASS BITCH!" Shayley screamed through the phone.

Some wake up call.

"Oh gosh," I chuckled. "Thanks."

"Jess and I will come by later since you want to be such a downer and not celebrate," she said.

"I didn't say I don't want to celebrate," I told her. "I just want it to be simple."

"Whatever grandma," she drawled. "I'll see you later."

I chuckled. "Later."

I got out of bed and went downstairs. I was greeted with a note stuck on the fridge.

Morning honey,

We've run out for a bit with Em.
Be back later. Enjoy your day
sweetheart x.

- Mom

I tore the note off and rolled my eyes with a smile at the corners of my lips. They did this almost every year. Pretending it was no big deal then surprising me with presents and cake later. It wasn't much of a surprise anyways since I knew their usual routine.

I made myself some cereal and sat down in the empty house. Then my phone started ringing. Shawn.

I answered. "Hey."

"Happy birthday Princess," he said.

I smiled. "Thanks Shawn."

"Get ready though," he continued.

"Huh?"

"You don't think I'm letting you spend your birthday sitting at home do you?" he said. "I'll be there in a little while."

"You're unbelievable you know that?" I laughed.

"Only for you sweetheart," he chuckled and my heart literally melted.

I hung up and quickly took a shower before putting on a simple blue dress with black ballet flats.

In no time he arrived, letting himself in.

"Ready birthday girl?"

"You know you don't have to right? I said.

"I want to," he smiled. "Now come on."

I followed him into his car and we hit the road. I casually stared out the window as he drove for what seemed to be a long time. It started to rain a little.

"Where exactly are you taking me?" I asked him.

He smirked. "A little outside town Princess, relax."

"Okay but why take me this far just for my birthday?"

"You ask too many questions."

"Well I wouldn't be asking if you just told me stuff," I countered.

He chuckled. "I forgot how annoying you could get."

"Back at you," I retorted.

"I've missed that," he added softly, glancing at me.

I sighed. "Shawn...don't."

"Don't what?"

"Do-"

I was cut off when his car suddenly started slowing down. The engine roared once or twice and finally stopped.

"Um...what's the matter?" I asked.

He tried turning on the ignition once. It didn't start. Twice, then three times, but still no response.