6. "Why did I agree to this?"

Bria

Monday rolled around. I found myself exhausted in each of my classes, and it didn't get any better once I got in biology. Of course Ms. Taylor was making use of her new buddy system, assigning us with  'out of school' homework with our partners.

The nature of the classroom was different. Something serious must've happened between Christopher and Devyn— she even went as far as to start a rumor that he's a virgin...which I don't believe, but it was petty of her to do.

But aside from that, Christopher and I's  task for today was to research, and then complete the assignment out of school.

"Can you come to my house to work on the project?" Christopher asked me quietly. Ever since this rumor got around he's been standoffish, and quiet. It's not like he was being outright bullied, but there were whispers and laughs...even from people he called his friends.

"I have to watch Forest. You can come to my place..if you'd like to."

He looked as if he'd just gotten an idea.

"Yeah that's cool..if your mom won't mind."

"She won't even be there, if your mom doesn't mind you can walk home with me. That is..if you don't have a problem being seen with me." I said mumbling the last part.

"Don't be ridiculous, Brianna."

Hm.

//

As I walked home with Christopher, I noticed that my heart was beating a bit fast. With him walking pretty close to me, we exchanged few words.

"So uh..what's your family like?" I asked breaking the lingering silence.

"My brother is in college. My dad just got married to his new husband..so it's just me and my mom." He said rubbing the back of his neck.

"His..husband?" I asked, before instantly regretting it.

"Yeah...it was weird at first but now I'm okay with it. At the end of the day, he's still my dad, if only my mom could underst- none of that matters." He said with a sigh.

I was a bit taken aback about how willing he was to share this with me.

"Uhh, what about yours?"

"As you know I have my little brother Forest..my dad moved to Hawaii. My mom, she's never really home." I said trying to leave out the reasons behind my father and mother's absence.

"Does she work long or something?" He asked looking over at me for the first time during our conversation.

"You can say that..she's making her money, sure."

We finally arrived to my apartment building, where Cameron was sitting on the stairs.

"Chris? What are you doing going home with Bria?" Cameron chuckled, staring us down.

Rather than replying with an insult like I thought he would, he smirked and said nothing.

?

As we entered my apartment, we both tok a seat in the living room on the couch.

"I want to try to finish before Forest gets home. I guess we can start by writing down our-"