Chapter 10: The Gifts

Before I got ready for bed, I went to Harry's room to check on him

Before I got ready for bed, I went to Harry's room to check on him. He was still sound asleep. I felt his forehead for myself, to make sure he wasn't running a fever. He was sleeping very, very deeply, I could hardly hear him breathing. In a moment of panic, I felt for his carotid pulse and it was very slow but strong. Still I was a little worried.

"Harry," I said, shaking his shoulder. "Harry, wake up."

He finally groaned and opened his eyes groggily. "Hi Nanny Jules. You're back." An enormous smile crossed his sleepy face.

"Yes, Harry. I just wanted to let you know I was back and I had a nice time. I brought some things back for you, too."

"Can I see them?" He asked and then promptly yawned loud and large.

"Not yet, sweetie. You go back to sleep and I'll show you in the morning, okay?"

"Uh-huh," he nodded. "Nanny Jules, will you sleep next to me for a little bit? I missed you."

"Sure, Harry," I said, climbing on his bed and rubbing his back until he fell back to sleep.

I was slightly alarmed at how fast I was becoming attached to this young man. I had always developed a fondness for the kids I worked with. It was easy to do. But I felt such compassion for Harry in particular, combined with love and affection, as well as a pretty strong sense of protectiveness. I almost wondered if this was what it felt like to be a parent. Well, a normal parent at least, a mother who would do anything to help her child succeed versus a father who didn't seem to care for his kid one bit. How would I ever leave him at the end of a year?

Harry awoke before me the next morning. He lingered in my doorway and somehow I could sense he was there. I opened my eyes and grinned widely. "Hey you, I missed you yesterday."

"You did?" He asked, happily grinning.

"I did." He was actually bouncing on the balls of his feet with excitement. "Do you want to come in?"

"Can I?" He asked, cautiously looking around.

"Sure," I sat up and threw the covers back, welcoming him into a big hug when he sat down.

"I missed you, too, Nanny Jules," he said, still hugging me. His voice was muffled by my hair. "You said you bringed me a surprise?" He asked and I giggled.

"Brought," I corrected him. "I brought you a surprise. Bringed isn't a word."

"I'm sorry," Harry said, pulling away from the hug.

"Oh, Harry, there's no need to be sorry. I just figured that since I'm finding out how smart you are, I want to make sure you learn to speak and write well. It doesn't mean you're in trouble and it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. It just means that you haven't learned the right way to do some things yet. Is that okay?"