Chapter 1: The Ad

My eyes were drooping closed and I had to keep sitting up straighter just to stay awake. I'd been browsing nanny jobs, au pair jobs, and special education internships forever and I only had come up with two jobs that I thought were worth applying for. 

"Fuck my life," I whined, letting my head fall to the desk with a bang.

"Juliette? Are you all right?" My sister called from the living room of our shared apartment. She and her boyfriend were still awake watching a marathon of The Saw movies.

"Yes," I called back to her. "Only I'm going to graduate in less than a month and I have no internship lined up and my life is going to be a complete and utter failure."

Helena appeared in my doorway. "Dramatics again? When will you learn? There is no way on earth you will ever be a complete and utter failure, Miss Perfection."

"Maybe that's my problem," I whined. "I'm a perfectionist, therefore I expect to have the perfect internship lined up after college, but I just don't." I looked up at my sister with a cheesy smile. "Will you feed me and clothe me if I become homeless? I'll wash your car and shop for you and keep the place clean-"

"Stop catastrophizing!" She snapped. She made up that word. Just for me. I do tend towards catastrophic thinking when things don't go my way. I so badly wanted to find a nanny or au pair job with a special needs child. I was getting my degree in special education and I wanted to have first-hand experience caring for a special needs child in the home environment. I knew it would give me an excellent vantage point that would ultimately help me to work with students and parents alike if I knew the challenges of raising a special needs child rather than just spending a few hours a day with them in the classroom.

"Look, Jules, it's after midnight. Why don't you just call it a night and you can look at it with fresh eyes in the morning?"

I slumped in my chair and kicked my feet like a fractious child. "I have to write that essay tomorrow! It's due at 3:00 PM."

"Okay, then why don't I do some searching for you?" She suggested. "I don't have to work tomorrow." She raised her voice to a subtle yell, "And Damien was just leaving!"

"What?" I heard him yell back from the living room. Two seconds later, he appeared next to Helena. "Why am I leaving?"

"Because I'm going to help my sister make something of her life since it's falling apart at the seams," she told him.

His response reeked of sarcasm. "Oh, please. She could get hit over the head with a cast iron frying pan and still ace the LSAT or MCAT or whatever you have to take to be a teacher."

"Those are entrance exams for law school and med school," I said in a snippy voice. "For teachers, it's Praxis. But seriously, you guys think I'm super smart or something when I just work really hard at everything."