Chapter 18: The Trip, Part 4

"Damn it!" Theodore swore upon reading a message on his phone

"Damn it!" Theodore swore upon reading a message on his phone. We were having breakfast in the suite, preparing to go out for another day of sightseeing before returning home tomorrow.

"I'm sorry," he said to us. "Something has gone wrong with the merger I've been working on. I'm afraid I have to go back into the office today."

My heart sunk. I really wanted to give Harry another day of fun. "Do you think it would be possible for Harry and me to go out and do some sightseeing on our own? I'm always very cautious and I'm confident with public transportation and I'm a very good map reader, but with Google maps it doesn-"

"Fine," Theodore interrupted me. "Barrows will drive you after he drops me off downtown."

"Thank you," I said, gushing with happiness. Harry was thrilled, too.

Our first destination was Calgary Heritage Park. On the way there, I explained to Harry, "This is a place where everything looks like it did over a hundred years ago. You know what year it is, right?"

"2017," He said proudly.

"So this place has a little village that looks like it's still around 1910. They show how they used to do things back then without computers and phones and lots of our modern conveniences."

"Wow," he said eagerly. "That's really cool." Mental note: Teach Harry more about history.

When we arrived, I invited Clive to come with us. "I'm paying," I said, happy to have some splurge money for once in my life.

"No, thank you," he smiled gently. "But I'll be here if you need me."

Harry got out of the car first and then held his hand out to me. "Thank you," I told him. "That was a very gentlemanly thing to do."

We wandered first into the old-time village and once again, everything caught Harry's eye. I was as much in awe as he was at the meticulously restored buildings, many in white clapboard with lines of bright green or blue accenting their frames. Isn't it funny how we always imagine things from the past in black and white? But looking up at the sunny sky and then at the busy village around us, I could almost imagine I was a young lady in 1910, walking into town with my younger brother to fetch some groceries from the General Store.

When we went into a house where the woman, dressed in period garb of course, was making bread, there was a father with his two little kids in the considerable crowd crammed into the small dwelling. The father took his smaller child, a little girl, and put her on his shoulders so she could see better. Harry had no interest in the bread-making demonstration at all. He watched the small family with a borderline stalkerish gaze. I wondered what he was thinking.

Later as we walked, I casually said, "It's interesting to see so many different people, isn't it?" He nodded. "One thing you have to be careful about is staring at people. You can look and appreciate but it makes people uncomfortable if you stare at them, especially if you don't know them."