Chapter 64: The Decision

"What do you think?" I asked Harry as we sat together on our bed in the hotel room

"What do you think?" I asked Harry as we sat together on our bed in the hotel room. I intertwined my fingers with his.

"I want to marry you," he said in a very no nonsense way.

"I know, and I still want to marry you. But what about our parents? I don't want to upset them."

"I know, but this is what I want. What we want. They shouldn't be able to tell us what to do," he said and it wasn't necessarily a defiant tone of voice. But he looked at me for confirmation. "Right?"

This was probably a gray area for him. He had always had to obey his nannies under threat of some harsh consequences, and Theodore had been an absolute dictator. He was relishing his freedom and yes, he was an adult and had the autonomy to make his own decisions. But that didn't mean we should just completely disregard our parents' concerns.

"Yes, of course. Ultimately the decision is ours," I said. "But I understand what they're saying. Do you think we need to get through some of this crap before we take such a big step?"

"Why?" He asked. I pulled him to lay his head on my lap and I hovered over him as I ran my fingers through his hair.

"I don't know," I said. "We're probably going to go through some hard emotional stuff with the trial and adapting to life afterwards. You're going to have to make some big adjustments. And I know we haven't talked about it much, but you're probably going to have to go to therapy for a while."

"Why?" He asked again.

"Because of the way you were raised," I said. "You didn't have a normal family life and you were oppressed in unthinkable ways. That's going to raise some issues for you, I think. Especially when we think about having our own kids."

A delighted smile crossed his face. "I can't wait to be a dad."

"You will be a fantastic father," I agreed. "But you don't have anyone to look up to in terms of what a good father should look like. How will you know how to do it?"

"Is it that hard?" He asked and I actually laughed. Hard.

"I'm sorry, baby, I'm not laughing at you but I think maybe you don't understand the full impact of fatherhood." I caressed his face and leaned in to kiss him. "Parenting is sacrificial. You have already sacrificed much of your life, unwillingly, and you need to focus on yourself and healing from your  past. And I want to help you with that, too." He nodded, seeming to understand my concern. "Sacrifice also means you put the needs of your child before yourself. So when the baby is crying at two in the morning and you have to work the next day, you have to give up your sleep to take care of the baby. When a three-year-old is throwing a tantrum about everything in sight, you have to have patience to not yell or scream at them. You have to teach them to be good and loving and kind and patient and you have to act that way as well so they learn from your example. And what if we have two or three kids and one wants help with homework and one wants help with tying their shoes and the baby is crying?"