Chapter 27: The Investigation Begins

I was growing tired of my lack of knowledge about Harry's history, even though I'd successfully reduced his medications and he still didn't have any obvious symptoms or side effects

I was growing tired of my lack of knowledge about Harry's history, even though I'd successfully reduced his medications and he still didn't have any obvious symptoms or side effects. Except for the fact that he was learning so much, both from school and from the long conversations we had about life and everything it entailed. We were together all day, every day so we had lots of time to talk.

I asked Theodore for another day out as I still hadn't wired my August paycheck to my parents, even though it was mid-September. He was rather stingy about it, but I finally convinced him since I had now earned a total of 15 days of vacation time and I'd only used three. Maybe this was what Clive meant when he said he was married to his job, but of course what would a chauffeur's job entail that would keep him so busy? Then again, maybe he did some other kind of work for Theodore as well.

Harry begged to come with me but I told him I had to take care of some personal things and that I'd schedule another day out with him soon. As much as I cared about him, it would be nice to have a day to myself.

I greeted Clive warmly when I got into the SUV. "How are you today, Clive. I've missed you."

"I'm doing fine, Juliette," he said affectionately. "And you?"

"I don't get out enough," I huffed in a laugh. "But I love Harry so he makes my job much easier."

"He's a lovable kid, that's for sure," Clive agreed. "Where to?"

"Western Union first," I said. It was actually a bank that I could never remember the name of, but it's where I went for every transfer I sent to my parents. After I'd sent the money, I asked Clive to drive me to the pharmacy where Harry's inhaler had come from. Thankfully I had kept the packaging.

He dropped me off at the curb and waited while I went inside. I swallowed my nerves and walked to the counter where I was greeted by a friendly young Asian woman. "Can I help you?" She asked with a huge smile.

"Yes, I'd like to get a refill on this," I said without wavering.

She took the package and typed some information into the computer. "I'm sorry, this prescription is expired," she said.

"Well, shoot," I answered. "I should probably call his doctor then. Do you, by any chance have this doctor's phone number? I...just switched to a new phone and I don't think I added Dr. Blake into my contacts yet."

"I'm sorry, I can't give out that information," she said.

"Just out of curiosity, why not? I'm not asking about a patient's personal information," I reasoned.

"I'm sorry, it's the store's policy. You can try Googling it though," she said helpfully.

"Okay, thanks. And, um, while I'm here, do you have any other prescriptions for him?" I asked, nodding to the empty prescription carton.