Chapter 11: The Meds

Monday morning, Harry was fantastically bright and brilliant

Monday morning, Harry was fantastically bright and brilliant. His sweet face and smile and outlook on everything always made my job so much easier, but this morning he was exceptionally...sharp.

"You look great today, Harry," I said. "You must have had a good night's sleep."

"I did, thank you," he answered with a soft smile.

A different smile.

A smile that both thrilled and terrified me because it wasn't the smile of a little boy. It was the smile of a young man, the young man I was certain lay beneath the facade of a disabled child.

"I'm glad, Harry. How are you feeling?"

"I have a headache," he said, shrugging like it was no big deal.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Let me find some Tylenol. That should help."

I went into the bathroom in my suite where all the medication was stored and dug through the medicine cabinet. While I searched for the pain reliever I caught sight of Harry's pill box.

"Shit!" I swore under my breath, hoping Harry couldn't hear me. "Shit, shit, shit!" I had completely forgotten about giving him any medication yesterday. It was an unusual day and we were both relaxed and having fun. I couldn't believe I forgot and that he forgot to ask. How could I have been so careless?

I grabbed the pill box and the bottle of Tylenol which miraculously appeared on the bottom shelf even though I couldn't seem to find it moments before. I went back to the kitchen and found Harry waiting with a glass of juice already in hand.

"Hey," I said calmly. "I think I know why you have a headache. We kind of forgot your meds yesterday."

A look of dread transformed his face. "Am I...will...will...I be okay?" He asked.

"You'll be fine, I promise." I hoped. "But sometimes when you're taking regular medications and miss a few doses, it can make you feel a little sick or have a headache, which you do. You can take your regular pills now, plus the Tylenol and I bet you'll feel better in no time." This was a damn good reason that I should know what he's taking. Should I be looking for adverse effects of missing doses (besides the obvious headache)? Should I give him yesterday's and today's doses (hypothetical question, of course, since almost every medication says not to double up doses if you accidentally miss one, but hey, I'm neither doctor nor pharmacist.) Obviously, it was the safest bet to just give him today's doses and to own up to my mistake with Theodore, just in case. He would most likely yell at me, but I'd rather have Harry safe than to save my own skin. 

Oddly, when I opened the box, it seemed there were more pills in each compartment. I could have sworn he had been taking five pills in the morning and now there were seven. Some of them looked like supplements, but how could I be certain? Each of the other compartments had at least one new pill in them as well. I guess I had a few things to talk to Theodore about.