Chapter 41: The Rescue

It had been at least a week since we had heard from or seen Theodore

It had been at least a week since we had heard from or seen Theodore. Imagine our absolute shock to hear someone knocking. At the back door. Harry and I rushed over and found Clive standing there, vigilantly glancing around him, hoping not to be seen. I opened the door and threw my arms around him. "Oh my god," I thought you were dead!" I gushed, thankful to see him alive and thankful to see him, period.

"Shhh," Clive whispered and came in, pulling the door closed quietly behind him.

Clive gave Harry and affectionate hug as well and then sat down on the couch and crumbled into a mess of tears and confessions. "I'm so sorry," he sobbed. "I'm sorry I've been such a coward. Theodore is insane and somehow. . .I don't know how. . .I bought into his crazy plan and. . . ." He cried so hard, he had Harry and me in tears as well.

"I'll get you some water," I said, rushing down the hallway. I came back and handed it to him and he chugged it down easily. "What happened?"

"I'll have to tell you on the way," he said, still hiccuping with emotion. "I came to rescue you."

"What?!" Harry and I both asked excitedly.

"I have a boat," he explained. "Down the coast a way. I couldn't leave you two trapped in here. He's an absolute maniac."

"Tell me about it," I said, trying to control my distress at the memory. "He. . . " I gulped. ". . . he held Harry at gunpoint," I continued. "And he threatened to kill him unless I called my parents and told them everything was okay."

Clive buried his face in his hands and cried some more. "This is my fault. I should have gotten you out of here when I had the chance. But we need to leave now before he finds out."

"Get the packs," I instructed Harry quietly.

"What packs?" Clive interrupted.

"We have two backpacks ready in my room, just in case we had to sneak out."

"Harry, go slowly and get one pack," Clive instructed him. "Don't make it look like you're in a hurry. Maybe we can make him believe that you're just going out in the woods for a day."

"There are no cameras in my room," I told him.

"But you can see bits of the hallway from the cameras in the other rooms. We don't want to tip anyone off that you're running. Just do it to be safe," he explained.

"Good idea," I nodded. While Harry got his pack, I went to the learning room and nonchalantly grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, hoping to provide a bit of a distraction. I wrote my parents' names and phone numbers on it and brought it back to Clive. "Please take this and, if anything goes wrong, contact my parents and tell them to get help," I told him. "Wait, why didn't you bring the police?"

He shook his head sadly. "They know Theodore too well. He and the local chief are very friendly. Theodore has the chief brainwashed to believe he can do no wrong. He's been able to explain away any accusation or unusual occurrence and get away without question."