Chapter 65: Harry's "First" Christmas

When we drove up to my parents' house, after having been gone for the longest 200 days of my life, I wept openly and unashamedly

When we drove up to my parents' house, after having been gone for the longest 200 days of my life, I wept openly and unashamedly. After that, I decided there would be no more tears unless they were perfectly happy tears.

And the happy tears commenced as soon as we walked in the front door and were met with my sisters, my brother Oliver, my brother-in-law Charlie, my soon-to-be brother-in-law Damien, and of course my mother. I was surprised that Oliver seemed so emotional to see me but I had to think about how horrible it must have been for all of them to learn that I was held captive and almost killed twice.

I tugged Harry's hand and led him through the foyer into the dining room where an enormous banner was hung, saying Welcome Home, Jules! And around my name were Harry's, Anne's, and Clive's. I made the introductions and everyone hugged Harry just as tightly as they did to me, knowing everything we had lived through.

When Helena greeted Harry, she quipped, "I remember you," and he smiled that bashful smile.

"Nice to see you again," he murmured shyly. "You're taller in person."

She burst out laughing at that and said, "Yeah, Jules is the shorty around here." It was true. Helena and Katherina were 5'9" and 5'8", Oliver was 5'11", and my dad was 5'10". My mother was the only other person in my family to share the "shorty" status, although she was still two inches taller than me at 5'5".

Harry laughed with her and squeezed me to his side, placing a kiss to the top of my head, seemingly overwhelmed by all the love.

After the introductions were made, Dad, Oliver and the brothers-in-law brought all of our luggage to various rooms. Harry and I were staying in my bedroom, after I'd had a heated discussion with my dad about where he should sleep. I didn't see the need to bring up the fact that we were sleeping together again, but they knew we would eventually get married. He finally relented on the basis of not having enough room for him to sleep elsewhere. Anne was given Katherina's old room and Clive was put in the guest bedroom. My parents had always been hospitable so it was a blessing that we had a sizable house to accommodate that.

Harry and I took a seat at the island in the kitchen and my mom came over to hug him for the second or third time. "I'm just so happy you could be here," she kept saying. She was preparing dinner for the whole clan, even though we were still a few days away from Christmas. Everyone wanted to be here; that was the norm for McGill family Christmases but this year, everyone was celebrating the added fact that Harry and I had lived through something traumatic, and the fact that we were soon to be married.

The smell of Mom's homemade spaghetti sauce bubbling on the stove made my eyes tear up and I wiped them away, thinking I was going to get bags under my eyes from being so emotional all the time. It was just that, my mind had been consumed for so long with either getting free from Theodore or putting him away in prison, that now I was overjoyed to be doing those things that I thought I would never do again when he put that gun to my head.