Chapter 37: The Baby Book

Harry asked me if we could look through more of the papers

Harry asked me if we could look through more of the papers. I had almost forgotten in my preoccupation with getting out of the house.

We sat down on my bed again, the only safe space in the house, and I pulled out the files. There were so many, I was eager to see what else we could find out about the family. I pulled out the top folder that had Harry's birth certificate, along with the marriage certificate for his parents and the death certificate for his father. He held them longingly, examining every word. I also found birth certificates for William and Anne. William had been born and raised in Victoria and Anne, well that was a surprise, she was born in Cheshire, England. It made me wonder about extended family. Were there grandparents in England who had never seen or gotten to know Harry? Her parents were listed as Brian and Mary Selley, so why was she a Styles? I was starting to confuse myself when Harry interrupted my musing.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I asked him.

"What else have you found?"

"Oh, your mother's birth certificate. Look where she was born," I said, pointing to the space on the document.

"England?" He said wistfully. "That sounds wonderful."

"Maybe when we get out of here, we can look up any of your relatives who still live there and maybe go and meet them."

"To England? Really?"

"We can try," I shrugged.

The very last item in the folder was a cardboard photo frame covered by a flap. I opened it and found the casual wedding photo of an absolutely beautiful woman with long, silky hair the color of Harry's, and the same eyes. I didn't see the resemblance as much in the man, but these had to be his parents. I showed Harry, without comment.

Tears welled in his eyes and he said, "That's my mum!"

"I think it is," I told him.

"No, it is, it is!" He looked at me excitedly. "I...I don't know how I know that, but that's her. I've seen her somewhere before. Maybe a picture from when I was little."

"She's lovely," I said reverently.

"She is," he marveled. "And my father. What a handsome man."

"You definitely take after your mother," I said, "but they are beautiful people. Just like you."

He grinned shyly, his dimple making a deep crease in his cheek. "I'm not beautiful."

"You are, Harry! You have a beautiful soul. And you are insanely handsome."

"Insanely?" He asked.

"Didn't you notice all the girls we saw in Calgary staring at you?" I asked.

"No," he said, blushing deep. "I never thought I was handsome."

I stopped and put my hands up facing him. "Stop right there. This needs to be made very clear. Seriously, it should be put on public record or something." He watched  me in curious amusement. "You, Harry Edward Styles, are the most adorable person I've ever met. You are handsome, you are charming and if I hadn't already confessed my love for you, there would be a line of girls a mile long waiting to take my place."