Chapter 60: The Showdown

Theodore shoved Harry inside and shut the door

Theodore shoved Harry inside and shut the door. He then threw the security lock in place so no one could get into the room, even with a key card.

"I'm sorry," Harry said hoarsely. "I didn't know he would be there. I'm so stupid."

"No," I said, calmly at first, keeping my widened eyes glued to Theodore. "You are not stupid. Theodore is a fucking crazy man who can't seem to understand that we have done nothing to hurt him." I was growling through my teeth by the time I finished the sentence and then my voice escalated to a clenched-teeth scream, "Nothing!"

"That's where you're wrong, Ms. McGill." He shoved Harry to the couch and trained the gun on me. "You and your idiot boyfriend have completely fucked up my future, my life. You set fire to my house and now you're trying to send me to prison."

"You will go to prison," I seethed. "If you can't see that much, you're the one who's a fucking idiot."

 "Well," he said in a maniacal voice, "If I'm going to prison either way, I might as well get the satisfaction of killing the two of you before I go." He turned towards me and motioned with the gun for me to sit next to Harry. He towered over us with an absolutely crazed look in his eye. "Now, is there anything you want to say or do before you're dead? I'm a reasonable man. Perhaps I'll let you write a good-bye note to your family," he said to me. "Or tell Harry how much you loved fucking him under my roof!" His words ended in a muted scream. "Or let him know how sorry you are that you won't be able to have his retard babies."

I kept my eyes on him, no matter how much I wanted to squeeze them closed and not listen and not pay attention and pray to God that he would magically transport us away from here.

"Or Harry," he said in a sickeningly sweet voice. "Do you want to tell your precious Juliette," he said my name with disdain, "how much she means to you and how you're so happy she rescued you from evil Theodore?"

Then he threw his head back and cackled out a truly villainous laugh - not taking his eyes or his aim completely off of us, of course. Then he looked directly back at us, smiling like the Joker and he kept laughing harder and harder and I thought for sure this was his breaking point, the moment he had given his mind over to complete psychosis. I was frantically trying to figure out if we could disarm him without getting shot, at least not fatally. I'd be willing to take another bullet, as fucking painful as it was, to kill this maniac. As my thoughts flowed in rapid succession, I was surprised at how clearly I was thinking despite having a gun pointed at my face.

Finally, he calmed himself down and said, "Do you want to know what's so funny?"

Neither Harry nor I answered.

He pressed the barrel of the gun to Harry's forehead and said, "I asked you a question. Do you want to know what's so funny?" He articulated each word slowly and separately from the next.