Chapter 52: The Parents

Harry and I woke up curled into each other; he was the big spoon curved around me and holding me so close it was almost too warm but not quite

Harry and I woke up curled into each other; he was the big spoon curved around me and holding me so close it was almost too warm but not quite. "Good morning, love," Harry murmured into my ear, causing a tickle and making me laugh.

"Mmm, I like that," I mumbled.

"What?"

"Love. I like the sound of it. Very British, which is fitting since your mum was from England," I said.

"That's true," he said softly. "Maybe it's in my blood."

"I love waking up like this," I said.

"Mmhmm," he said, hugging his entire body around me even more snugly.

"Especially because we're not captives anymore," I whispered.

"Especially that," he said, planting a wet kiss to my cheek. "But also because I'm so in love with you."

"Mmm, and I'm in love with you," I replied.

We laid together for a long time, savoring our connection and the fact that we were safe and warm. We really didn't have to be awake and out of bed for anything except to greet my parents later in the afternoon. I couldn't wait. I was still in a bit of a fog that made me feel detached from everything I ever knew, and part of me feared this was a happy dream that I'd made up to deal with the fact that I was still somehow trapped in that place. Seeing my parents would be another step back towards reality, a new reality that now included Harry in every aspect of my life.

We finally got around to ordering some breakfast and getting dressed, which was a good thing because Officer Michaels stopped by late in the morning.

"How are you two acclimating?" He asked.

"Nice to wake up and not have to worry about whether we're going to die," I said dryly. No one laughed. "Sorry, bad joke."

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that we were able to recover several items from the house." He handed me a canvas bag that held my wallet, my phone, and my laptop.

"Thank you so much!" I cheered. "How did you get them?"

"The woman who admitted to filling Harry's medications," he replied. "Her name is Annamae Watson. Apparently, she knew where everything was and she thought you'd want to have it."

"Yes, of course, I do." At the bottom of the bag was my notebook, chock full of everything that I had written down. I wondered why he hadn't destroyed it. "Oh, my  gosh!" I turned and showed the notebook to Officer Michaels. "This is full of everything I told you in my statement. There are probably more details in here than what I was able to tell you at the hospital. Do you want to hold on to it?" 

"Why don't you hold on to it for now?" Officer Michaels said. "You might want to show it to your lawyer. Have you found one yet?" He asked.

"No, we're going to work on that when my parents get here, although I did contact someone a while back. I never made it to my first appointment a few weeks ago...for obvious reasons," I told him.