Chapter 31: The Overdose

For the rest of the week, I tried to keep Harry's mind off of the seriousness of his situation while I did anything and everything I could to prepare to meet with the lawyer the following week

For the rest of the week, I tried to keep Harry's mind off of the seriousness of his situation while I did anything and everything I could to prepare to meet with the lawyer the following week. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for Harry, knowing this suite as his only home for all these years. Now suddenly, I was giving him ideas about freedom and leaving and moving out and moving on, not to mention, planting fear in him that had been nonexistent before.

He deserved to be free but I could imagine it was probably the most frightening thing he'd ever been through. Hell, he still believed he was a little kid a few months ago and now he was being faced with becoming an adult sooner than he ever thought possible and  defying his maniac of a father and hoping he could get away with it. I did everything I could to reassure him and encourage him, but I knew the whole situation still weighed on him heavily.

It was late Sunday when one of Theodore's employees came to retrieve the pill box, the same slight young woman with mousy brown hair. We had been hiding his extra doses just like he had decided, so we didn't think we had anything to worry about. We had settled into watching Finding Nemo when I heard the doors fly open and Theodore's voice bellowing. I told Harry to stay put and I went to face his wrath.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" He screamed. "I gave you strict orders to give Harry his medication every day and you deliberately disobeyed me!"

I stood my ground and took a deep breath to calm my quivering courage. "What are you talking about?"

He ran to my bathroom and grabbed the plastic baggies. He came back out and shoved them in my face. "I'm talking about these!"

Fuck, the nanny cams! How could I have been so stupid? He'd seen us while we separated the pills in the kitchen. I'm sure he saw me take off with the baggies and it wasn't a secret that the cabinet in my bathroom was where Harry's meds were stashed.

"He needs to be seen by a doctor before taking more pills," I said firmly.

"Harry!" Theodore shouted, ignoring me completely.

Harry appeared in the kitchen, looking rather terrified. "Yes, sir." His voice was barely a whisper.

"Take. These. Pills," Theodore growled, dumping five days' worth of pills onto the table. He grabbed a glass from the sink and filled it with water, setting it down with a slosh next to the box.

"Which ones?" Harry asked.

"All of them!"

"No!" I screamed, maneuvering myself in front of Harry. "He can't take all those doses at one time! He could die!" I whimpered. "Please, you said you'd fire me. Just do that. Just send me away," I begged and Harry looked at me like I'd betrayed him.

Theodore grabbed the collar of my shirt and pushed me hard against the door of the pantry, his face mere inches from mine. I could smell the stale wine on his breath as he seethed, "You will learn to do what is expected of you. And Harry will learn to obey me." He was drunk, that fucker, but I knew he was dead serious.