Chapter 38: The Phone Call

It had been five days since Harry overdosed but it felt like a year since we were trapped and spending every waking moment trying to figure out how to get free

It had been five days since Harry overdosed but it felt like a year since we were trapped and spending every waking moment trying to figure out how to get free. But our relationship had grown immensely. And Harry was discovering a lifetime worth of information about himself and his family.

He was starting to get massive headaches because Theodore hadn't sent any new meds. Luckily, I remembered the few that Harry had shoved into his pockets, but some were ones he'd never taken before. However, he had a few of the anti-psychotics in there so I had cut them in half and staggered them, hoping to reduce the withdrawal effects. What really worried me was the Singulair since I didn't know for sure whether he had asthma. I would have pulled up the medical charts on my phone, but Theodore still had it, that bastard. I didn't remember seeing asthma listed on Harry's checkup sheets but it wasn't something I wanted to find out in a crisis. I remembered something about fall being bad for asthma but I didn't know whether that was due to viruses that kids passed around at school, which wasn't an issue for us, or if it was because of the rotting and dying vegetation. In any case, I kept an inhaler close at all times and reminded him how to use it.

The plus side of the minimal medication was that I was seeing the real Harry for the first time since I'd arrived. He was bright and alert, smart and even more perceptive than he'd been all along. Of course, his lack of understanding about so many things remained, simply because he'd never been taught in a proper manner. But he was an incredibly fast learner and I just knew my intuition had been correct, that Harry was a perfectly normal, functional young man.

I tried to get Theodore's attention by writing signs on paper and placing them in front of the nanny cams wherever I could prop them. I wrote that Harry needed his medication and I needed my phone, hoping he would be at least annoyed enough to come to the suite to remove the signs.

We waited a few more days while we tried to come up with ideas to get out. While we waited, we each packed a backpack with a change of clothes, an extra sweatshirt or jacket and some food like granola bars, nuts and raisins as well as a bottle of water each, in case we had to walk to Victoria or some other nearby town. In my pack, I placed a large ziplock bag with my notebook, my wallet, and $2500 cash. In Harry's pack, I put another ziplock with his birth certificate and another $2500 cash. I had never been as thankful for Theodore's "generosity" since I'd been able to keep so much money on hand while still sending generous amounts home.

In addition to what seemed like essentials, I tried to think back to my actual hiking days in high school. We had taken a family trip, and then we did a youth group trip at one point. While the family trip was hiking during the day and then returning to camp at night, the youth group trip had been real hiking, meaning we had to carry in everything we needed, including tents and sleeping bags, and carry out all of our garbage. Part of the trip was canoeing, so we also had to portage our canoes. It was one of the most physically and mentally taxing things I'd ever done. I hoped to God that if we could escape somehow, this wouldn't turn into a wilderness survival excursion.