Chapter 57: The Escape

We had contacted Nathan Greenwood on Sunday to let him know about Anne

We had contacted Nathan Greenwood on Sunday to let him know about Anne. He was both shocked and delighted because, as we all knew already, she would provide a huge piece of evidence in Theodore's conviction. He arranged to meet with us first thing Monday morning at our hotel.

When he arrived, he walked straight to Anne and said, "I'm Nathan Greenwood, your attorney. And I believe you might be interested in this." He handed her a large envelope.

She opened it and gasped. "It's the will," she informed us in a shaky voice.

"It wasn't hard to obtain, actually," Nathan told us. "Turns out the attorney who drafted it used to work in our office, but he has since opened his own practice."

We invited Nathan to sit down and offered him a cup of coffee, which he graciously accepted. "Do you know what this means?" He asked Anne but then looked at all of us.

"Not until we know what the will says," Dad said with a chuckle.

"Oh right," he said. "Of course, Anne already knows since she signed it. She is the beneficiary to William's estate, company, and assets. Theodore was obviously a secondary beneficiary. So that means..."

"That I still own...everything?" Anne asked, her throat going dry.

"That's exactly what it means," Nathan answered. "Did you realize any of this after you went back to England?"

"I...I did actually," Anne said. "I could just never bring myself to come back or to contact Theodore. The memories were just too painful. I knew that he would be running the company even if I was the owner, so in my mind, it didn't make a difference."

"But the money, the house....?" Nathan wondered.

"I couldn't live there without William and Harry," she said, choking up. "And the money was nothing to me after all I had lost. But now that I think about it, I'm sure Theodore was pleased that I never fought for it. I'm sure he had a plan to deal with me if I ever did. Did you say that he actually falsified my death certificate?" She shuddered and Harry put his arm around her.

Nathan nodded. "I understand why you didn't come back," he said to her. "It's all right. But now, obviously we have a few more people to talk to since Theodore falsified your death and also lied to you about Harry's death."

Moved by emotion, Anne threw her arms around Harry and the two hugged and cried happy tears, just to be reunited again.

As if they were summoned, Officer Michaels and Officer Gage, one of the officers who had come on Saturday night, knocked at the door.

"Hello," Nathan greeted them and introduced himself. "We were just talking about how we needed to get some more answers and you two will certainly be able to help."

"Great," Officer Michaels said. "First off, though, I wanted you all to know that Theodore Blake will be held without bail after this morning's arraignment hearing."