Chapter 58: The Move

"No!" I cried

"No!" I cried. "How?!"

"The man has lots of connections," Gage shook his head and sighed.

"Then fire the whole fucking lot of them!" I screamed, not even thinking about what I was saying. "Why the hell can't anyone do their job right? And who the fuck is letting him get away with all this shit!?"

"Jules, calm down," my dad said, putting his arm around me.

"No," I bawled, turning to bury my face in his chest. "You don't know how evil that man is. He has no conscience at all. He's coming after us, I just know it."

Harry just stood and stared at everyone, a completely blank look on his face.

Poor Detective Gage had been trying to get a word in the whole time I was freaking out. "We are going to move you to a more secure location," he finally managed to say. "Get your things packed and we can go from there. I have a few officers planning to meet me here so we can escort you."

"Why?" I cried and slumped down on the couch. "Why can't this just be over?"

"Come on, Jules," Harry said softly. "Let's pack our things."

I blindly followed him to our room and shook my head in disgust. We had just shared an intimate connection there and now we were practically running for our lives again. I couldn't live like this, with the constant upheaval, thinking one moment that we're safe and the next that we might be hunted down by a crazy man. I sat on the edge of the bed and just looked around, unable to force myself to move.

"Jules," Harry said. I looked at him and noticed my suitcase was almost packed.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'm just so scared."

He came and knelt in front of me. "I am, too, Baby. But we're not alone. We have your parents, my mum, and Clive. And the police are looking out for us. We'll be all right."

"How can you be sure?" I whimpered.

"I can feel it," he said. "Everything is going to be fine."

I leaned over and kissed him, lingering long enough to make my heart flutter, long enough for him to impart a bit of courage to me. "Okay," I said and gathered up the rest of my things.

Once we were all packed, Detective Gage, Detective Hughes and another officer came to escort us. They told us, "We're going to take you out the back. There are two unmarked SUV's waiting for you there. Once you get inside, just sit tight until we arrive at the next location and one of us opens the doors for you."

I nodded without fully comprehending the reality of this situation. How had my life turned into this in less than six months' time?

I climbed into the first SUV with Harry and his mum and I burrowed into his side after I buckled my seat belt. I knew he was afraid and I felt the sting of guilt, feeling like I should be the one to reassure him. But I was exhausted by this process and couldn't muster up enough courage even for myself, let alone anyone else.