CHAPTER 56: Postponed

FRIDAY NIGHT.

TRISTAN'S POV

I gazed at myself at the mirror. It's the day I will meet the girl I'm supposed to marry. Dad arranged a dinner on a nice resto. I made sure I'd look good tonight.

Lumabas na ako ng kwarto nang masiguro kong ayos na ang lahat. Nasa sala na naghihintay sila Daddy at lolo.

It's a 20 minute drive from our house.

"Tristan, be polite with your in-laws to be, okay? Don't cause a scene tonight. " Lolo said.

"Okay" I replied lazily. I'm kinda thinking of something else. Actually wala akong pakialam sa mapag uusapan ngayong gabi. I'm just curious who is this Xyerah Yu. I've seen her picture and read about her family but then, she's not my type.

My type of girl is someone who has an innocent face but can also be fierce at sudden change of mood.

I smiled. Ah, Chelsea..

I swear that girl can manipulate me with her facial expressions alone. Her smile, her voice. I love it. One thing that I don't like is she's so obsessed with her boyfriend.

Naalala ko ang usapan namin kahapon.

"So, iniwan ka nya, the day you needed him the most?" tanong ko.

She slowly nodded. Tears falling on her cheeks.

I gritted my teeth. "He's such a coward. Why did he do that?"

"Wala syang choice." sagot nya. "The decision is not his to make"

"Don't give me that shit! He has all the choices. Hindi ka lang talaga nya pinaglaban. Or sabihin nating, pinaglaban ka nya. Pero hindi sapat.. " naiinis na sabi ko.

She stared at me. "Kung ikaw ang nasa sitwasyon na yun, ano bang gagawin mo?"

"Of course ipaglalaban kita no! Isa pa yung pamilya nya. They are all shitty." I clenched my fist. "Ipakilala mo nga sakin ang lalaki na yan, nang mabigwasan ko"

Natawa sya sa sinabi ko. "Wala kang alam"

I looked at her with a serious face. "of course I know. I know I can treat you better than that. He's no good for you, Chelsea.. Forget him."

Umiling sya. "I won't do that! Alam ko kung gaano kasakit ang makalimutan. Hindi ko yun gagawin sa kanya. Hangga't may pagkakataon akong makita at makasama sya kahit saglit lang.. Aasa at aasa ako na babalik yung dating kami."

At that very moment, I want to shook her off. Until she wakes up to reality. She's so blinded with love that she never sees what could be best for her.

I don't care if I look like insisting myself to her. She needs someone else.

"Kung ako ang magiging boyfriend mo, hindi ka luluha ng ganyan. Iiyak ka lang ng tears of joy." pinunasan ko ang luha nya.

Her face light up when she heard that. Tumawa din sya ng mahina. I guess I have to take that as a sign that she may consider leaving her fiancé and date me instead...

"We're here" huminto ang sasakyan sa isang malaking restaurant.

Bumaba na kami ng kotse at pumasok sa loob. Naupo kami sa mesa na pinareserve ni Dad. Few minutes passed at dumating na ang hinihintay namin.

Shakehands.. shakehands.. Kumustahan.

Until they got down to business.

"Tristan here is very curious to see you, Xyerah." sabi ni Dad sa slim na babaeng nakaupo sa tapat ko. Pagkatapos ay bumaling sa Daddy nito "How about we arrange the wedding soon?"

Ngumiti ang lalaking tunatawag naming Mr. Yu

He has chinky eyes, Obviously a Chinese guy.

"Napag usapan na namin ng anak ko, Mr. Guevara. The problem is, gusto naming i-postpone muna ang mga plano tungkol sa kasal." sabi nito.

Me, Dad and Lolo has the same expression. Surprised by what we've heard.

"I'm sorry, but why the sudden change of mind?" nang makabawi ay nasabi ni Daddy.

"I know our families have established a good friendship over the years. The bond might be important but I realize I shouldn't sacrifice my daughter's happiness for it." he said sincerely "As you know, she suffered from heavy depression. I actually felt insane seeing her enduring those hardships. I don't want to push her so hard anymore. I hope you understand. I'm not saying that we're cancelling it.But can you give us time to be ready? Xyerah here wants to finish her studies first.She will go abroad to fulfill it.."

Mataman ko syang tiningnan. I can say that he loves his daughter so much.

"Pardon me but there are too many contradictions in your statement. You said you won't sacrifice her happiness but then says you're not cancelling the wedding. Why is that?" tanong ni Daddy. Same thought as me.

"Yes. I will give her what she wants. Until she's ready for her responsibility.." sabi ni Mr. Yu. "She's young and can't understand the situation right now. I guess we have to give her time to think about it. Matalino naman syang bata. I'm sure in time, matatanggap nya rin ang dapat nyang gawin."

I heard my grandfather laughed. "I see. I see. You're right. You're a great man for realizing that sooner. It's ok. Hindi natin dapat madaliin ang mga bata.."

I felt relieved.

I looked at Xyerah. She's looking at me with eyes saying, 'we need to talk'. I'm not sure though.

I excused myself and got up para magCr.

Paglabas ko ng comfort room, naghihintay si Xyerah, hinila nya ako papunta sa isang sulok ng resto.

"Wala ka pa rin bang naaalala?" tanong nya.

"Bakit? Ano bang dapat kong alalahanin?" kunot noong tanong ko din sa kanya.

She crossed her arms. "Hurry up and go back to your senses while I'm still giving us both a favor."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You're annoying" she rolled her eyes.  "As always."

Iniwan na nya ako. Nasundan ko sya ng tingin. Sabi ni Dad gusto ko daw tong babaeng to. How come?

I was more than glad that the wedding is off.

~~❤