No More Buns?!

I was waked by the ringing tone of my phone, and with exhaustion, I answered my mother, "Hey. What's up mom?"

"Your dad and I just wanted to know how you are feeling," she whispered into my ear as her teeth bitten down a metal spoon.

"The same as always. Sleeping in on a Saturday," I giggled with a dry throat. "How's the trip?"

"Your dad and I fell in love all over again, here in the Philippines."

"Yeah?" I raised the pitch of my voice, "but mom, your grandkid don't need a aunt or uncle around his age."

"Aha! Honey, you're thinking too much!" My mother's laughter rose into a hissing sound. "I need to tell your dad this, be right back."

There was a long silence after she muted me. My body didn't struggle to find the perfect posture to fall asleep again.

I was not sure whether my mother ever un-muted me or she simply hung up because I fell asleep on her. When I was waken up again, it was by the ringing of the door bell.

I wasn't expecting any guest again, but I went to open the door nonetheless.

"Good morning doctor," Lora sprinted through the crack of the door and its frame. "I want to apologize about last Sunday."

"Already forgotten," I roared a silent exhale. "Now, let me go back to sleep."

"No. No. I want to talk to you about your condition," she begged as I tried to push her out of my house.

"What's the cost this time, huh? You told me everything you knew yesterday morning. What can you possibly learn overnight?"

"This!" She pulled out a tube with a transparent gold liquid in it. Which I lazily rolled my eyes to show her that I could care less, but she gently pushed me onto the sofa next to us. "This, is the naturally unnatural thing that you must've drunk before sleeping with Fred."

"Wait. What? I don't recall drinking anything that color, and Fred? When did you guys became so close?"

"Well, one, are you sure? You did say you were drunk? And two, since Sunday," she gave me the tube to observe as if, if I touch it, I might recall something relating to it?

"So? Anything?" Lora was like an eager and curious child.

"Aha, you do know I don't believe in animism, right?" I laughed and then my voice cracked due to dryness. "Wait. I did drink something."

"Yeah?" Her smile widened exponentially.

"I was drunk, so, that meant I was drinking alcohol. And doesn't this color quite clearly resemble beer?"

"Both you and Fred said you guys met at a luxurious party, they don't serve beer there," the disappointments illustrated by the shaking of her head was more hilarious than it was serious.

"I am certain that the bartender gave me a beer. Now that I think about it, he really wanted me to fuck Fredrick," I stood up ready to enter the kitchen, "want some hot water or tea? I'll make some buns too."

"Yeah. Thanks Dan!" Lora shouted behind me. I entered the kitchen and swung open the freezer. My stacks of frozen and already made buns were there. I was setting the stove when I realized, why do I keep on telling Lora things I said I wouldn't tell?

Once I was done, I returned to the living room, "Tea?"

"Yeah, thanks. Oh, here are some of the research I might have taken illegally on this beer of yours," we traded the cup of tea and a two inches load of papers. "Just read the things I already highlighted."