Phone Calls - Vera's Special

A few days before my son's divorce, my ex-husband phoned me.

"Hello, may I speak with Vera?" His voice was so peculiar that I knew it was him the instant he spoke.

"What do you want, Fred," I rolled my eyes.

"You rolled your eyes didn't you?" His chuckles were strange as if this was his first time truly enjoying a conversation again.

"If that's all you wanted, then bye -"

"Wait," he interrupted me mid farewell, "I call to say that I am truly sorry. I was a jerk and I still don't deserve your forgiveness even when I realize it."

"Fred, just in case you've forgotten. I don't care. Now, bye."

I waited for him to hang up, but he simply breathed the heavily air and listened to my silence. I knew something was off.

"Are you okay?"

"I didn't know you still care about me," I could see his smirk.

"Nope, bye." And this time, I hung up.

I didn't want to be part of the family he kicked me out of. I knew my son hated me for leaving, but I was not asking for his forgiveness. Like Fred, I wasn't expecting to be forgiven. It was the judgement and path I had choose to follow and I will follow through.

Not later, I got phone by Lora. I never really liked that girl. Not because she was adopted, but because she choose not to adapt. The ways she looked at my son, her cousin, gave me the creeps.

"Aunty Vera?"

"What's up Lora?"

"Your son is getting a divorce," her voice soften but I heard the rapidness of her breaths.

"Oh," I wasn't really interested. Freddie was an adult, I believed in his judgements.

"Aunty?"

"Yes Lora. Did you want something from this old lady?"

She laughed, "You're not so old, aunty. I just want to tell you that I like Fred."

"My husband?"

"N-No! I meant your son Fred. And ew, why did you say that?"

"What's wrong with liking your uncle?"

"Again, no. I meant like as in like-like," her voice was heavy and full of sarcasm.

"Freddie is your cousin," I told her bluntly.

"Yeah, I know and I just want you to know," she paused and I stayed silence, "that's all. Bye Aunty Vera."

At that time, I should've taken her and Fred's words much more seriously. I could've prevented three deaths.

When I heard about the deaths, I knew instantly who the killer was and yet I said nothing. With the kidnapping of my son's new fiancé, I went to visit Brazil.

I didn't want to be part of my son's life because I knew my presence would make his life much harder. Two weeks into my vacation, Dr. Vang called me.

"Hello?"

"Are you perhaps Mrs. Vera Turner?"

"No, I'm Vera Wilson, but still the same person. So yes, what do you need?"

"Sorry, ah, I'm Dr. Kang Vang and as a friend of your son, I called to ask if you would visit him," there were certainly worries in her voice but her tone was steady.

"Dr. Vang, right?"

"Yes."

"Sorry, I really glad that Freddie found such a good friend such as yourself, but I cannot do what you asked of me."

She waited a while before asking, "Why not? He's your son and he is in an absolute crisis."

"I know, but I can't. I promised Fred I will never meddle in Freddie's life."

"But uncle is dead," I heard the phone shake and rattle.

"I know and I'm sorry to hear that but I can't come back to New York right now," I tried to brush the young lady off.

"Okay, sure. But it sounded to me like you knew uncle was going to be killed, are you part of the scheme?"

"No! I may hate Fred but never enough to kill the man. Um, never mind, I take that back, I did once but a long time ago," I slapped my forehead and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sure," then I thought back to my phone calls with Fred and Lora. "I might know who and where Dr. Ferns and my grandkids are."

"Yeah?" Her voice was filled with excitement, "tell me!"

"Calm down," I thought about what I have got myself into. "About four months ago, right before Freddie divorced Carol, Fred phoned me and apologized about his mistakes."

"You sure know your stuffs although you claimed to not want to meddle," I knew she was going to say this.

"Anyway, right after the divorce, Lora phoned me."

"What did she say? How are these two phone calls related?"

I'm not really good at telling the whole truth. I also don't want Kelvin and Tarsha to lose their daughter but Lora is beyond help.

"She told me about her like-liking Freddie and wanting to let me know," once those words left my lips I found more of my mistakes. Lora called to have my approval and since I didn't say anything, she-

"Don't tell me you approved of her affections towards Freddie."

"I may have come off that way," I felt my heart sinking into my stomach.

"I really don't understand why you don't want to comfort your son when you obviously love him unconditionally. You're like the complete opposite of Dr. Ferns. Anyway, thank you ma'am."

"Wait," I was able to stop her before hanging up, "how much does Dr. Ferns love my son?"

"He's also in denial, that part is very like you right now," I imagined this Dr. Vang covering her mouth and giggling like a high school kid.

"He?"

"Yeah, Dr. Ferns is a guy. I hate being the one to break it to you but your son is gay."

I was speechless. A man was able to love my stubborn son?

"Is he also the pregnant girl at his wedding 5 years ago?"

"Why yes," I really hate how this friendship of theirs are better than any of mine's. "Is there any other questions I can answer?"

"What's the name of my other grandson?" I really hope it's not another Fredrick in the family.

"His name's Glenn Solomon Ferns-Turner, ma'am," her voice was so snappy, "actually I have to got right now. Thank you so much!"

"Yeah, sure. Update me on the situation later!"

In the next 6 weeks, I spent all my time searching for my son's family in my own way. However, I still wanted to know if Dr. Ferns was in denial after that.

Lol this took me forever, I tell you. I decided this is the ending. Thank you for all the support!! I love you guys!

Later, I'll begin doing grammar stuff and share with you guys my reflections of writing this story. It might be boring, but stay toned Bc I'll give away another sex scene 😜

Wow, I'm selling sex now 🙃🙃

Nonetheless, thank you for reading, voting, and adding it to your reading lists!! ❤️❤️