Chris the Intern

Glenn was on my hip and snuggled onto my side because he became shy from the stares of the interns.

"Good morning. Let's go around and introduce ourselves. I'll start. I'm Dr. Ferns and my son is Glenn." He looked up when he heard his name, but quickly went back to his shy self.

"Okay. I'll go next. My name is Chris and I don't have a son yet." Everybody laughed. I really didn't mean for it to take this route.

"Okay, say your names then say something interesting about yourselves."

"Then, I'm 6'2." We all looked at him as if we all didn't already knew that.

"Oh. My. God. I really couldn't tell because y'know everybody is tall for me," a short girl rolled her eye. "Anyway, I'm Conan and I'm also a mother."

"Who would want to bang her ass," Chris whispered to a guy next to him, but it was quite loud and even I heard it.

"Come on. Lets be nice to each other and Glenn is here," I made a worry and serious face.

"Oh yeah. I was wondering why you bring a kid to work, because it's not Take-Your-Kid-To-Work day." Their attentions were to that one question as if I was really odd.

"Well, there wasn't any rule saying I can't," I smiled at them, but then I realized that this would stir trouble. I was an idiot. "Just kidding, Glenn is shy and my parents are out of town. I got permission from Dr. Vang."

"What about your wife?"

"When did this became an interrogation?" They all looked away with the exception of Chris, "I'll answers more questions later. We should all introduced ourselves, okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah. They are quite nosy. I'm Sara by the way, and I like rainy days."

"My name's Taylor and I like, um, maybe vanilla ice cream?"

Chris is still making little comments after each person introduced themselves, which became very annoying. I was planning to have a talk with him afterwards, but I felt like he was a creep.

"Finally. It took forever. I'm Brad and Chris is my best friend."

Chris's lustful eyes reminded me of my high school's days, "Can we ask you questions now?"

"Sure, but maybe another time," I smiled and tried to flash the ring Fredrick gave me a long time ago.

The Sara shook her head in disappointment when she noticed the ring. So did Brad. Taylor and Conan didn't care. Chris, on the other hand, was un-phase and continued to look at me oddly.

Later, as a few months passed by, Chris finally had the courage to talk to me without his best friend always accompanying him.

It was lunch.

"Dr. Ferns, may I sit here?" I wasn't that cool with my interns and was left to sit alone with Glenn. And so, even if it was Chris, I was still glad.

"Sure," I smiled at him.

"Daddy, milk please," he was holding a chocolate chip cookie. I reached for the milk and gave it to him with a straw.

"So, how's your wife?" Chris tried to make it casual.

"She's great. Thank you for asking."

"Your ring is an engagement ring and it's for a girl," he smirked mischievously almost as if he wasn't aware how rude it was. Never mind, it was more like he didn't care.

"Do we judge and label rings now?" I tried to avoid his annoying comment.

"I know that ring is for show."

"I'm ten years older than you. I also have a child. Please, you can hold onto your feelings but don't push them onto me."

"I'm not dumb, Dan-"

"Call me Dr. Ferns," I snapped at him with a sarcastic smile.

"Still. Why won't you give me a chance? I will treat you like how you should be treated, unlike your ex-boyfriend."

"See. That's the problem. You keep on making assumptions," I looked at Glenn who just kept pretending to not hear anything.

"I'm only making assumptions because you won't give me anything to go off of. If I didn't know any better, I would say you're Fredrick Turner's sandal from six years ago," he stared straight into my eyes, waiting for me to deny what he said.

"Daddy?" Glenn's little face brightened my day, "I need to pee-pee."

"Okay, um," I looked back at Chris, "Sorry, he's my priority."

I left everything as it was, picked Glenn up, and went straight to the male restroom.

I don't ever know how Glenn always knew that I wasn't feeling comfortable.

When we returned, Chris wasn't alone. Dr. Vang and a small child was there.

"Hello, Dr. Vang. How nice it to see you here," I called out to them while Glenn sat on my hips.

The small child saw us and cried, "Mommy!"

He ran toward us and tightly hugged my leg. I looked at Chris and Dr. Vang for answers, but they were just as confused.

I bend down, "Hello, who might you be little guy?"

"You're silly, mommy. I'm Freddie," he giggled. He reached out his arms like he wanted to be picked up. I didn't want to do it, but he gave me the puppy eyes.

Once he was in my arm, I noticed how much he reminded me of my Glenn, who was in my other arm. Their physical appearances alone was uncanny.

"Is he-"

"Yup, the son of yours truly," she retorted. "I don't even know why he wanted to visit me out of all people. I mean he got family from both sides who adore him. And Freddie barely saw me from time to time."

"So... what's going on?" Chris bit on his bottom lip, "A kid who looks like your kid just called you 'mommy'?"

"My ex-wife's kid," I lied.

"No, I'm your baby," Freddie corrected me. He was not helping.

Chris raised an eyebrow noticing how all my lies were being untangled by a small child.

"Classified." Dr. Vang clapped her hands together, "Chris, go back to training. Dr. Ferns, please follow me. We need to do checkups."

We're finally catching up to my previous ending for this story, therefore, I'm just gonna redo them and add them in. 😬😬

Nonetheless, thank you for reading, voting, and adding it to your reading lists!! ❤️❤️