Finding an Escape

The next morning, very early, Lora called me. At first, I really didn't want to talk to her, but my mind changed when I realized she was the only person I can rely on even if she's not a great person.

"Hello?"

"Oh. My. God. Dan, why didn't you pick up? I called like five times," I heard her husky voice over the phone.

"I didn't know if I can trust you," I felt the bump that used to be a six pack.

"Of course you can! Come on. Get ready. You need an ultrasound," Her voice was a little short of breath and the background was as if she was speeding through the highways.

"You're funny, Lora. If you can't bring the ultrasound to me, then I don't need it."

"Why are you being difficult? I'm almost to your house now, get ready."

"Lora, I'm not going anywhere. And that is final," I hung up on her.

Now that I thought about things and reflected about them, I realized how weird it was that I could stay on vacation for a year. It is also weird that I, someone who could care less about sexual relationships, got pregnant.

My giggles were interrupted with a knock on the door. I looked out the windows on the second floor out to my front porch. It was the news, and in the center of it was Fredrick.

I snatched my phone and dialed Lora, "Where the fuck are you?"

"Traffic."

"What happened? Why are there news reporters out on my front porch," I shouted angrily.

"Fred?"

"Yes! Who else?"

"He canceled his wedding after you left," she replied as if it was a simple common sense.

"What the fuck!!" I shouted again, but with frustration. "Why can't people understand that I don't want to get married?"

"Honey. Honey, calm your ass down. It's not good for your baby."

"Are my baby and wedding all that you care about?"

"I'm not going to take offense because I know it is just the hormones talking," I can almost hear her rolling her eyes back and forth.

"I'll see you at the cafe near my house."

"How are you getting out? Didn't you say news reporters surrounded your house?"

"No. I said front porch. And why are you acting like I just recently live in my own house?"

"Okay, I get you. Is it the one with a blue cupcake in front?"

"Yes. That's the one. See you there."

"See you there." That was the end of the call.

I quickly got dressed into my old man with a beer belly look. I knew Lora will hate it, but it's the best disguise I have. Then, I realized I need money and protection, so I picked up my wallet and a small hand gun my dad gave me on my 26th birthday, and tucked those into my oversized pockets.

Once I got to the living room, I could hear all the rustling of the news reporters. They were all anxious to meet me or my stomach. I believed they still think I was a woman which I should thank Lora for. I didn't think the world was ready to learn of male pregnancy yet.

I heard a loud bang on the door so I peeked out the window to see tears in Fredrick's eyes. A man of such a high status was crying for me.

Instead of feeling high and mighty like I should, I pitied the man. He was in the same boat as I was. He played around and accidentally slept with me. He didn't know that he can get another male pregnant either. He too was a victim.

I returned back up stairs and put on the most feminine things in my closet. I didn't turn out so bad, I told myself in the full body mirror.

Back downstairs, the news were still on my porch when I opened the door. Fredrick's eyes were delighted to see me.

"May I come in?" He asked with the sweetest smile.

"Only you though," I winked back. The chemistry of that night was returning. He turned back around to the crowd with two thumbs up and then followed me inside.

It was quite, but the beating of my heart reflected every millisecond that passed by. He held onto my hands as we sat on the couch and simply looked into each other eyes with sincerity.

"So, how's the baby?" He finally asked.

I was too excited to say a thing. I just putted his hand onto my belly as if there will be a kick.

"Why didn't you tell me?" His eyes were sad, but still happy. My emotions plunged out as tears and they flowed without a sound.

Fredrick wrapped me in his arms. In my old days, I would have never let anyone wrapped me in this way, so, could this be love?

"I didn't want you to know. I still don't know why I didn't want you to know. Maybe pride? Maybe because of the gap between our statuses? Maybe it's me trying to be complicated?" His grip on me tightened like he didn't ever want to let me go.

"I want you to know and understand that I didn't choose you because of the baby. I truly am in love with you," his voice was like the John Hopkins's acceptance letter I received when I was 18.

"When did you fell in love with me?"

"When you said 'sure, papa'," he chuckled as he rubbed my belly. I laughed with him. It was the most sincere laugh I had since a while.

"Let's get married?" He leaned in for a kiss, but I didn't let him. Which he misunderstood and pulled out a ring, "Oh, here's an engagement ring."

"Isn't this a little early?" I asked sarcastically.

"No? I don't think so?" He made the sexiest confused look, "Will you marry me, Dan?"

"But I am a man. The whole world thinks I'm a woman, but it knows I am a man. Are you okay with being call gay? And I am not ready to tell the world that a man can be impregnated."

"What are you talking about? Why are you thinking so hard about how other people will judge us? I love you, isn't that enough?"

"You don't understand, Fredrick! I'm not as confident as you are, I doubt myself and I second guess everything because that is me. I'm a crazy man who live at the edge of a cliff! If I'm not careful, I'll fall!"

Tears flowed out once again. Fredrick gently comfort me, "Then, I'll marry you and keep you away from that cliff."

"You dumbass," I smiled at his stupidity. "Give me that stupid ring."

Thank you for reading and adding it to your reading lists!!