The Days Went On

"Get away from that man, Dan!" My father yelled as he got down the staircase.

I gave Glenn to my mother and jumped in between the rifle and Fredrick, "Please, dad. I'll make him leave. Please don't shoot him."

"Bud, move. He's not worth your affections," my father placed his finger on the trigger.

I got up to my father and putted the tip of the rifle on top of my heart, "Then kill me first. The first person my father will ever kill shall be me."

"Look what you make my son do! A jerk like you don't deserve my son." My father's voice was filled with madness, "The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, I don't want to see my son abused by the likes of you or your father."

I lost my balance as my father tried to make me move out of his way and so I fell hard.

Fredrick raced to my rescue and Glenn began to cry uncontrollably. Our relatives in the backyard heard the cry and rushed inside.

They whispered to themselves as they saw the rifle in my father's hands and me in Fredrick's.

"So your son is a girl," my uncle recalled the news.

The silence was long, with the exception of Glenn, and even some of my relatives decided to return to the cold backyard not wanting to be part of the heated family drama.

My father then with a furious fist, "I don't care anymore. Just get him out of this house or I will."

As soon as he finished speaking, he went upstairs to put back his rifle and returned to the backyard. At that time, Glenn stopped crying as I burped him in my arms and he listened to my heartbeat.

"Fredrick, go home please?" I begged.

"But you guys are my home," his head gestured to Glenn and me. "I love you."

"How about I'll call you later?" I smiled hoping that he will leave soon.

"Okay, but promise?" I nodded and he leaned in for a kiss, but I still thought of and respected Coraline.

"Here's my number," he gave me his personal business card. "It'll go to my Secretary, but she's always near me."

That evening, I called Fredrick all night but his Secretary just replied with, "I'm sorry, but Mr. Turner is busy right now. I'll tell him that you called."

He never called back once or even visited. It was as if that day was a lie. I was still the crazy man living on the cliff.

The same thing happened the night after too. And the next, and next, and next until I lost count to learn from the news that Coraline gave birth to a son. Then everything made sense.

Lora stopped visiting and I would occasionally go to Dr. Vang for the contract. I never really talked to her and she never really asked any personal questions.

The days went on and didn't even remember that I could had emailed the guy.

I quit my job at the hospital. I didn't want to see Lora or any of Fredrick's family and relatives.

I took my family and moved to California and away from all my troubles. Dr. Vang has a Headquarter there too. I made her promise to not tell Fredrick.

All I can do was to trust that she stayed true to her words.

-----.-----.-----.-----.-----.-----.-----.-----.

"Are you new here?" The little girl asked me as I headed to my car. I think she was my neighbor's daughter.

"Yes, I am," I smiled at her.

"Do you take your baby to work with you?" She curiously asked as I put Glenn in his carseat, he just turned five.

"Why yes."

"What kind of job do you do?"

"I train the interns at the Vang Corporation."

"My sister's an intern there," she smiled happily. "Her name's Taylor."

"Leslie! Come on, you need to go to school. You'll be late if you don't hurry," her mother shouted as she got out of the house. "Sorry, Leslie is so nosy."

Her laugh was like the clicking of a plastic cup hitting a marble counter, "I'm Harley. And you?"

"Call me Dan."

"See you later then, Dan." Her chestnut hair was bouncy like those in TV commercials.

"Ready for our first day?" I smiled at Glenn, who was still a little tired.

"Daddy, c-can't I stay with granny?"

"You don't want to be with me?" I made a sad face.

"No. I do. I-It's just granny and grandpa are leaving today. I'm gonna miss, miss them," he hugged himself as he tried to express how much he'll miss them.

"Well, they already left this morning," I quickly buckled him up and got to the driver's seat.

"Wha? They didn't say bye-bye to me," he pouted but quickly smiled again as he noticed the car was moving.

"I didn't finish my milk, daddy. Can we go back?"

"You're an awkward bundle of joy, aren't you?" I saw his hands trying to cover his smile through the rear mirror, "It's too late now. We're almost to Dr. Vang's place."

That was his idea of being a rebel and I was extremely glad that it was. I wouldn't have been able to handle him otherwise.

Glenn looked at me through the rear mirror like it would keep himself safe. Which I did too, knowing that he was safe made me feel safe.

"We're here!" I turned to see his childish yet gentle face. He too was smiling back at me. That alone, was my happiness.

Okay, so I'm sensing a sex scene (although not anytime soon), therefore, I want to respect you guys, thus, asking if... (yes, you should vote, and if I don't get a reply, I'll just do whatever.)

Just so you guys may have been confused, the Ferns aren't white, but they can be 😄 Let you imagination goes wild! (Nor are the Turners.)

And I just noticed how short my chapters had become 😳 The next few chapters will be short as well. However, after this and two more, it will definitely be longer. (It's Bc I already wrote them.)

Thank you for reading, voting, and adding it to your reading lists!! ❤️❤️