21.

I stood by my car waiting for her to come out the gym

I stood by my car waiting for her to come out the gym. It's been a week since the dance and Desiree isn't talking to me because she feels like I should've stood up for her after what Zoey said. The incident made me realize how much I miss her friendship.

She walked out the gym covered in sweat. She didn't notice me standing there because she was typing away on her phone and she had her headphones on.

I gave myself a small pep talk and then approached her. I tapped her shoulder and she turned around with an annoyed look.

"Can I help you?" She asked with attitude.

"Zoey, I apologize for everything. I haven't been a good friend to you and I miss our friendship."

She stared at her shoes and played with her fingers. It looked like she was debating on whether or not to forgive me.

"Apology accepted but Keith took your place on the friendship rank." She informed me. That hurt my feelings but that's what I get for being an idiot.

"Well I guess I'll have to work to get my spot back." I said and she laughed.

She was about to walk away when I gently grabbed her arm.

"Can I give you a ride home?" She agreed.

🌻🌻🌻

I came straight home and was about to go to sleep when my mom barged into my room.

"I know my crocodile is not about to go to sleep. Did you forget that tonight is our Mommy and Son Paint Extravaganza?"

On the first and last Friday of every month, me and my mom spend all night painting. Our house was full of our creations. I got my artistic ability from her.

I got out the bed and followed her as she waddled down the steps and into the art room. She had the lights dim and incense everywhere.

"So how's life been?" She asked in her soothing voice.

We continued to paint as I filled her in on everything that's been happening. The bond I have with my mom is so strong even though we were away from each other for two years.

I missed her so much during that time. When I was living with my dad, he wouldn't let me spend time with her. He'd call her white devil and say that she trapped him and forced him to marry her. My dad was an abuser.

"I went to the doctor and found out the sex of the baby." She sounded happy. I can't wait for the baby to come, even though we don't have the same dad.

"Are you going to tell me what it is?"

"A boy." She said with and handed me money. We made I bet and I said it was a boy.

"I knew it. What are you going to name him?"

"I have no clue. You have to help me come up with something."

We spent the rest of the night finishing our paintings and enjoying each other's company.